new 2way con unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i just want to know where in the regs book i would find things on installing a new 2way con unit for things like the size of the holes for cables and so on thanx

Sponsored Links
i have the new brown regs book and the old blue on-site guild. i got told when makin a hole for the cables it had to be i size so u cant fit fingers in are something

Sponsored Links
Yes all enclosures have to maintain IP2X. Most CU’s have knock out designs that will achieve this. (Or use the rear entry ones). Just don't leave gaps.

If you have a IP44 or greater CU you may find the only knock outs are 20mm blinds. (Or in some case you will need to cut your own holes ... which is where you started??)

I'd use a 20mm hole cutter and either open grommets (thicker cables), blind grommets with a nick in or for IP44 + rating a suitable cable gland. (You can get T&E, round and SWA ones)

The regs don't tell you any of this directly. They define the IP ratings and tell you to protect cables from mech. damage/chaffing around the holes but that’s about it.

thanx 1 more thing where would i learn about all this ip2x and ip44 i would like to understand everything b4 i go a head and do it cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back