New APT Immersion Timeswitch Heater Won't Switch On

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So I had my electrician fit and install a new immersion switch yesterday, as the Clock function wasn't working on our old one.

The electrician had the switch turned to Clock and put in the times we requested it to be on every day.

Today I wanted to turn the immersion on at a separate time, so I turned the switch from Clock to Off and later to On.

I waited half an hour and despite the immersion switch being turned to On no heat was coming in any of the taps or radiators.

Anyone had a similar problem? Should I call our electrician for help?

Sponsored Links
It has a neon ON light , does that come on when switched to ON ?
If it works on timer, it should also work on ON - no difference in wiring it up, that should just be a function of the timeswitch - it maybe broken and the electrician should replace under any warranty.
mine did for free when a Shower switch went within a few weeks.

is it this one
https://heatingpartswarehouse.co.uk...Ce0ftUR1rjEm1gXmtqOCu8opKvrKuaD4aAsrwEALw_wcB

Yes that is the one I got.

When I switch to ON the usual orange light comes on but I'm not getting any heat from it.

Electrician just bought new switch for me the other day, so if worst comes to worst at least it will be in warranty.

Sponsored Links
The light comes on when it's turned to ON but no heat is coming.

Not sure about timed ON, as I haven't been there at the scheduled time. Maybe I could change the time and see what happens when it reaches the scheduled time?

Not sure about timed ON, as I haven't been there at the scheduled time.
BUT is that the only method of heating the water?
Has the new switch heated the water at all ?

Or do you have other water heating , like gas ?

Jut put on timed and then turn the clock dial until it comes on and see if it then heats up the water - it maybe the immersion heater happens to have gone.

BUT has the new switched ever worked ?

Last edited:
I only got the new switch yesterday. We have no means of heating other than oil.

I'll turn it to Clock and let it run to a scheduled time to see if the water heats, but I doubt it will as it was meant to go ON at 6:30am this morning but nothing heated.

Ok, if its never worked, get the sparky back in. I assumed it had worked and provided hot water.
Had the clock on the old one broke, or did you assume that as you got no heating ?

Thanks for all the advice, it means a lot to me.

Should I take any precautions with getting the sparky back in? I'm not an expert on anything DIY or too technical.

The clock feature on our old immersion switch stopped working and we could only turn it to ON manually, but it did give off heat then. We got this new switch with the hope we could do it by both manually flicking ON and using the clock.

Should I take any precautions with getting the sparky back in?I
Not sure what you mean?

Just a DIYer myself

You turned the switch to Clock, and then turned the dial to where it switched on and the neon liteup and wait a while to see if you get hot water

Where is the Hot water tank ?

you provided the switch or was it provided and fitted by sparky?

Maybe the sparky did not test if it was actually heating, and just went by the neon.

Immersions sometimes have a resettable overheat stat, if you feel confident you could inspect that

I must admit clicked on the thread to see what an Advanced passenger train (APT) had to do with an immersion heater.

But a 40 gallon tank takes time to heat up and cool down, I have central heating boiler set to heat for ½ hour (minimum controller will allow) every other day, but this is 6 times the output of an immersion heater, so with an immersion heater looking at around 4 hours.

With insulation on the tank also takes long time to cool, I have no jacket on my tank as use it as airing cupboard, only the insulation which is on the tank when it came, and it takes 3 to 4 days to cool.

I use a timer as there is no thermostat on the tank connected to boiler, but with the immersion heater there is a built in thermostat, and simply no reason to turn it off. So only reason to have a timer is with off peak electric, and you would set it to match off peak time, only exception is if you live in Ulster, the Willis system heats the cylinder from the top down, and the immersion heater is in a special tube next to the main tank, due to the way it works time does work with this system, but rare to find it in mainland UK here on the mainland plumbers don't seem to have worked out how it works.

But the question is have you given it long enough to heat the water, and why do you need a timer?

Not sure what you mean?

Just a DIYer myself

You turned the switch to Clock, and then turned the dial to where it switched on and the neon liteup and wait a while to see if you get hot water

Where is the Hot water tank ?

you provided the switch or was it provided and fitted by sparky?

Maybe the sparky did not test if it was actually heating, and just went by the neon.

Hot water tank is in the hot press. With our old immersion heater we gave it half an hour to heat the hot water tank, radiators and water. We also heard the heater running.

With this new immersion I hear nothing when it's switched to the ON position, and none of the above appliances or water was heated after half an hour.

Our electrician bought this switch, and fitted for us, which would have included all the wiring. I may call him to ask for some tips.

We also heard the heater running.
How did this sound - its just a heater in the tank ? Not sure what you would hear , but never listened closely

Hot water tank is in the hot press
Whats a HOT PRESS?

How long has it been left 'ON" for - our immersion takes a while to heat up a small tank, probably a couple of hours to get hot.

and none of the above appliances or water was heated after half an hour.
Not sure i understand that either
If an Immersion it just heats a tank of water - I suspect after 1/2hour it maybe warm not as cold as the cold tap.

Was the timer set to run ALL night then , and no hot this morning ?

Our electrician bought this switch, and fitted for us, which would have included all the wiring. I may call him to ask for some tips.
maybe best if its set to heating on "ON" with Neon ON and after a few hours, water should be at least warm, depending on Temp Setting on thermostat , if has one - and as posted maybe it needs a reset

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back