New boiler + fitting (price check)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.... My current combi boiler has developed a problem so had heating engineer out to look at it today and he has given me a quote for repair (£600) which is about the price I expected, and also given me a quote for some replacement options as follows...

Current boiler: Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior. At least 11 years old, so replacement would make sense vs repairing (heat exchanger + pump).

Replacement options:-
1. Worcester Bosch 4000 30 KW: £3500+vat
2. Ideal Vogue MAX C32: £3550+vat
3. Ideal Logic MAX C30: £3250+vat
4. Ideal Instinct C30: £2850+vat

Having looked online it seems for example that I can buy as follows:-
1. Worcester Bosch 4000 30 KW: £1100+vat
2. Ideal Vogue MAX C32: £1225+vat
3. Ideal Logic MAX C30: £1000+vat

The quote provided does include some other items but based on £3500-£1100=£2400 and I assume the other bits and bobs equate to let's say £400, it sounds as if engineer is charging approx. £2000 for 2 days work. Is this about the going rate ?

Supplementary info: 2 bed mid-terrace house, 1 bathroom, 6 rads.

I have used the engineer once before and was happy with his work and charges etc. but I was knocked a bit sideways when I got the prices for replacement.

I'm not trying to belittle a gas engineer's skills etc, just making sure I'm not having the price bumped up just because he's too busy etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have just had an Ideal Vogue Max C32 fitted a couple of weeks ago. It replaced a Baxi combi. £2730 Inc VAT. This was by a a Ideal approved fitter so got the 12 year warranty

Get some more quotes. We don't know what work is exactly been quoted for but if its a just a combi swap involving a small amount of pipework changes then the price seems high. Is a system flush included. Expect to pay more for access issues, vertical flues, upgraded gas supply, upgraded controls etc. All can add more time and materials and therefore more cost.
Also, the cheapest quote is not necessarily the best, but a high price doesn't guarantee quality either.

I have just had an Ideal Vogue Max C32 fitted a couple of weeks ago. It replaced a Baxi combi. £2730 Inc VAT. This was by a a Ideal approved fitter so got the 12 year warranty

Thanks for the info.... Do you know if that included a new flue..? which apparently I need as a matter of course because the old flue is at least 11 years old.

Sponsored Links
That does sound a bit rich for a boiler swap. But this time of year heating engineers/boiler slingers can charge pretty much what they like due to the alternative being an unheated house in a snowstorm.
I'd suggest going for the £600 repair now and using the time between now and June/July to decide how you want to heat your home over the next 10 years.

Get some more quotes. We don't know what work is exactly been quoted for but if its a just a combi swap involving a small amount of pipework changes then the price seems high. Is a system flush included. Expect to pay more for access issues, vertical flues, upgraded gas supply, upgraded controls etc. All can add more time and materials and therefore more cost.
Also, the cheapest quote is not necessarily the best, but a high price doesn't guarantee quality either.

Yes the price does include power flush and a new vertical flue up through the loft and out through roof. Includes basic control.

I just had a new Worcester Bosch cdi 32kw installed for £2500 from boxt.
New flue, new thermostat, new MagnaFilter and powerful.
It was a straight swap because i had a Worcester Bosch before, so everything more or less was in place.
Took the engineer a day and he kept everything sparkling clean.
I was well impressed.
Local companies were all around £3000 for the same boiler.
I also got 10 years warranty as boxt is in the Worcester Bosch list of accredited installers.

Yes the price does include... a new vertical flue up through the loft and out through roof.
Well that's pertinent information which will affect the price significantly. Vertical flue + extensions + additional time to do the job + means of access, maybe a roofer to be employed etc.

Your boiler may be repairable by Worcester under a fixed price repair scheme and that's definitely worth investigating.

If you do go for a new boiler, avoid all the Ideals on the list. The Worcester is OK, get a Comfort+II RF as the control. Other manufacturers are available

Ok, so we're now getting nearer to a price that I might expect....

It turns out that he had quoted me the prices as...."basic price (no vat)" which I assumed meant vat would need to be added, but apparently he's currently trading below the vat threshold therefore there is not vat to add.
So, comparing to the Vogue Max C32 that the poster 27neth (above) had fitted at £2730, my comparable quote is £3550 which does include £150 for a roofer to assist with the vent. So my quote is an extra £800 but does not include a new condensate pump which would be an optional extra £150.

The engineer did suggest approaching Worcester Bosch for a fixed price repair but I have my doubts that they will be prepared to do that on a boiler that may well be approaching 15 years old. I'm also wary of spending money on the repair and then have other issues in the near future.

Thanks for all the replies. I've got some thinking to do but at least I've got some more information on which to base my decision.

If you do go for a new boiler, avoid all the Ideals on the list. The Worcester is OK, get a Comfort+II RF as the control. Other manufacturers are available

Why do you say to avoid the Ideals.... I thought ideal seemed to be a generally well respected boiler brand.

FIL just had old system boiler removed and had a combi fitted. £900 to do the fitting and immersion/boiler removal.

He bought his own boiler, around £1K.

But did have to pay for new gas main to be extended (garage to upstairs) which cost another £400

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back