New boiler + fitting (price check)

Why do you say to avoid the Ideals.... I thought ideal seemed to be a generally well respected boiler brand.
They're well liked by boiler slingers who don't care too much about running costs or the ability to set them up to match your system. Quite plasticky inside and terrible modulation, especially on the Logic - the minimum power output is very likely to exceed the maximum heating requirement of your system & home for much of the year. This will result in boiler cycling which significantly reduces efficency. The pump settings can't be adjusted either, meaning that the target difference in flow & return temperatures of 20°C, which is needed for condensing boilers to actually condense & be at their most efficient, is hardly ever achieved.

As for your existing boiler, save for the fancier casing and slightly improved modulation, the 4000 is pretty much identical to the Junior you currently have. It's a slight upgrade to go to the 4000, but it'll never ever pay for itself.

Sponsored Links
They're well liked by boiler slingers who don't care too much about running costs or the ability to set them up to match your system. Quite plasticky inside and terrible modulation, especially on the Logic - the minimum power output is very likely to exceed the maximum heating requirement of your system & home for much of the year. This will result in boiler cycling which significantly reduces efficency. The pump settings can't be adjusted either, meaning that the target difference in flow & return temperatures of 20°C, which is needed for condensing boilers to actually condense & be at their most efficient, is hardly ever achieved.

As for your existing boiler, save for the fancier casing and slightly improved modulation, the 4000 is pretty much identical to the Junior you currently have. It's a slight upgrade to go to the 4000, but it'll never ever pay for itself.

What alternatives would you suggest muggles...?

The Worcester 4000 is decent, as is the 8000, although with both you need to fit Worcester's own controls to get the best out of them which adds to the cost. I personally like the Intergas Xclusive although servicing requirements are a little more onerous as it needs new seals every 4 years. That being said, they're very robust reliable boilers if you look after them. 12 year warranty when fitted with the Intergas system filter, and very configurable in the installer parameters to get the best out of it. The Vokera Vibe Max 30C is worth a look as well.

Last edited:
I have now received a second quote which is about £700 cheaper and the only "material" difference between the quotes seems to be the flushing....

The cheaper quote specifies "Hot magnetic flush using Adey MC3 cleaner".
The expensive quote specifies "System powerflush (1 full day to clean)".

The system hasn't been flushed at all in at least the ten years that I''ve been in the property and the water pressure has been topped up a few times therefore I assume diluting any corrosion inhibitor. Some of the radiators are warmer at the top than the bottom therefore I believe are sludged up somewhat.
Also, if relevant, the pipes at the radiators appear to be 10mm microbore pipe.

What are you guys feelings about which would be the most suitable system cleaning method ?

Sponsored Links
Spotted this the other day, was surprised how much sludge etc might be in there... £700 more, seems excessive to me.

power flush

Sorry, no offence, but £700 for a day, still seems excessive to me, but I can see it's more than lobbing a hose on there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back