new boiler

I am the only one wondering why someones removing a generally very reliable 15yr old boiler and system? If its through choice then fine, but I always suspect poor advice in such circumstances.

Sponsored Links
thanks everyone for all your input so far. it seems the quotes i have had so far have exploited my lack of knowledge. i have no real preference on type of boiler the combi route was down to advice from the two quotes ive had. I will ring round a few more and hopefully get some genuine quotes that have my best interests at heart. the reason for the new boiler is when the baxi solo (current boiler) was last serviced parts were impossible to get. also i keep getting told a new boiler will be so much more efficient. currently costing around £50 amonth for the gas

the reason for the new boiler is when the baxi solo (current boiler) was last serviced parts were impossible to get

I find that hard to believe. What model is it? you should be able to remove the flap on the front and see a metal badge with data on it. I suspect someones been telling you porkies.

Sponsored Links
current boiler is wall mounted room sealed gas fired central heating boiler
Baxi solo 40/4 RS G.C. No 4107748 serial number 046129 . when last serviced it needed new insulating panels when i rang baxi they said they no longer made parts for this boiler. the boiler was made in 1994 ive been in this house for three years i dont think the boiler has been serviced much. we plan to have a new bathroom at some point with a mixer shower so i thought it would be best to update the boiler before it packs up and get a more efficent one?

ok just had a quick look. Yeh , the insulation panels are listed as obsolette, but all the functional parts are available, gas valve, thermostat, etc.. heat exchanger not. But tbh if the heat exchanger went then I would say replace it. Ultimately this boiler hasn't actually got alot to go wrong and may well serve you for a few more years yet if you so wish. I'm assuming it works ok now?
I'm not trying to say definately keep it, just giving you some "true" advice so you can make an informed decision. ;)
btw your boiler is probably around 65-70% efficient, compared to 90% on a new one. 20-25% savings would be a realistic target imo, but dependant on use.

thanks mickyg for the info. would my current boiler serve a mixer shower then?
certainly, but its power would be reliant on the height of your cold water storage cistern. You could add a shower pump to increase the pressure.

again forgive my ignorance. would the baxi survive a few more years without the insulating panels? they were the only problem when it was last serviced. it works ok, im now questioning the need for a new boiler, and thinking to just go ahead with the bathroom

again forgive my ignorance. would the baxi survive a few more years without the insulating panels? they were the only problem when it was last serviced. it works ok, im now questioning the need for a new boiler, and thinking to just go ahead with the bathroom
impossible to say without seeing the boiler. It should have insulation panels. If there are none, then this is an issue. However if this was the case I would have thought the boiler would have been put to rest! However I suspect you could probably source some panels from a different model such as a baxi back boiler. They're likely to be the same. There's a very healthy chance your boiler will last another 5yrs+

from what i can remember i think the guy who serviced it used panels from elsewhere and patched it up as best he could. do you think i should get it serviced and see what results from the service. it was last serviced about 18 months ago

from what i can remember i think the guy who serviced it used panels from elsewhere and patched it up as best he could. do you think i should get it serviced and see what results from the service. it was last serviced about 18 months ago
yes that would be a good idea. Then you can get a better idea of what route to take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back