New Business Venture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to start up a little business selling graded wood and plywood offcuts etc. I think it would be a very enjoyable experience as I love wood!

I need a starting point i.e a regular supply so need to make a few contacts.

Anyone signpost me in the right direction please? :D

Sponsored Links
i may be being thick here.....but at my local wood shop....independent not chain...they chuck offcuts into a big box and you can help yourself for free :D

i used to get skip load of wood tipped onto my driveway as it cost a lot to landfill it but that has come to an end now as scrap wood is now worth money

Sponsored Links
It doesn't seem to matter how many off-cuts you have - there are never enough to do anything useful with.

I've worked on sites that had skips purely for wood and it was surprising what went in at times, 8ft lenghts of 3 and 4x2 half sheets of new ply and so on . Now maybe this sort of arrangement with a skip operator unless you can do it yourself and having a yard they can empty the skips at would be a sourch of wood.Anything unsuitable for reuse could be cut up and sold on as firewood perhaps? Although I'm not sure of the economics of your idea I'd wish you the best of luck.

Bahco, I wish you the world of luch with this one. There are loads of times when I could have used a small section of timber or timberboard and had to buy a full length or full size piece. Garages, cellars and sheds must be full of offcuts which amount to a reasonable size forest and may go to waste. I can see a global retail market coming on :)

I get my patio slabs from "stone trader" in London, natural indian stone, it comes in wooden crates, the wood, some of which i have never seen, it weighs about the same as iron, no ordinary hard wood.

I get my patio slabs from "stone trader" in London, natural indian stone, it comes in wooden crates, the wood, some of which i have never seen, it weighs about the same as iron, no ordinary hard wood.
And what do you do with this wood?

I once had to go and get some roughsawn oak from sawmill to take to a proper chippy. The transformation from that to an oak brace and ledger door together with frame was an inspiration to observe.

Anyone signpost me in the right direction please? :D

Think of a different business venture.

The people who do well selling offcuts are the people creating the offcut. Offcuts are cheap, because they are offcuts. For you to buy offcuts and sell again isn't going to give you a good margin. If you were having the offcuts for free then they aren't really worth a great deal otherwise the people giving them away would sell them.

Sorry to pee on your fire...unless it's a joke? :oops:

I would(excuse the pun), be looking at local timber merchants or workshops that do mouldings. There will be loads of off cuts available, but the trend is now that a lot of these places now bag it and sell it as firewood.

There's a guy round the corner from me that does that. Takes 3 hours to make a bird box and sells them for 4 quid. He's making a killing. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back