New Business Venture

There's a guy round the corner from me that does that. Takes 3 hours to make a bird box and sells them for 4 quid. He's making a killing. :rolleyes:

So by putting in just 1hr overtime he could make 3 boxes which he sells for £12 :eek: i hope he declares his earnings to the taxman. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yeah but you have to take the raw material costs out and running his workshop.

There's a guy round the corner from me that does that. Takes 3 hours to make a bird box and sells them for 4 quid. He's making a killing. :rolleyes:

Said in jest Joe , but a few years ago now a friend and myself made a load of bird houses, plant tubs , bird tables and the like all from decent reclaimed timber. In fact we made a whole vanful, took them to a carboot and made £3 all day and sold one mallet :cry:

Sponsored Links
Yeah but you have to take the raw material costs out and running his workshop.

Yes i forgot about the raw materials, if he opted for Polytop stainless steel nails thats going to cost him a tenner a box, but he could possibly use a cheaper nail.

If only timber merchants would stock half and quater size sheet materials so that customers can fit it in their car. They always moan when you ask them to cut it up. That's why everyone goes to B&Q and pays over the odds for warped wood.

think youd be better off buying them from this guy then reselling them at a profit, :LOL:

Not quite but probably around 15 years but I still use the term "pound notes" as an overall term for money . Perhaps I should try to get more up to date. :LOL: :oops:

Anyone remember that poster on here who made a garden shed from a load of old pallets? here is one :)

Not quite but probably around 15 years but I still use the term "pound notes" as an overall term for money . Perhaps I should try to get more up to date. :LOL: :oops:

But a pound is still a pound, it mightn't be worth sod all though.

About 1.2 Euros now. Even in 2007 it was about 1.4 euros to £1

I think, had we entered the Euro on introduction, the echange rate would have been around the 1.6 - 1.75 rate.
So without a doubt the pound is worth a lot less now, against the euro and the dollar than it was.

results (1 GBP)
1999-12-29 December 29, Wednesday 1.60956 EUR
1999-12-30 December 30, Thursday 1.60914 EUR
1999-12-31 December 31, Friday 1.60377 EUR
2000-01-03 January 03, Monday 1.60217 EUR
2000-01-04 January 04, Tuesday 1.58793 EUR

http://www.x-rates.com/cgi-bin/hlookup.cgi

Maybe I exaggerated a little. :oops:

Having a google around it seems the UK produces quite a bit of wood waste with something like 1-2 million tons a year going straight to landfill.
With government proposals to increase recycling and reduce landfill there should be scope for Bahco's idea to have some merit. As I mentioned if you could drop a skip for free on a site and remove it when full of timber you get your supply for very little and the site gets their rubbish removed for nothing , although I still think it would be hard work for quite slim margins.

When I was looking for some steel sheet a few months ago, I noticed some websites selling part steel sheets in various kinds/sizes.

With wood, though, it would hardly be worth the saving if there was any distance involved, unless it was in quantity.

Sponsored Links
Back