New business questions

If its just you, a brush and a van then sole trader might be a better option. It takes minutes to register on-line, no fees. You'll need to fill out a tax return but the paperwork is much simpler than Ltd.

You should be able to get free business banking up to a limit of so many cheques per months, etc. They might charge for certain transactions like getting cash from a branch but normal stuff like cashpoints, paying in cheques, etc should be free. You don't really need it.

You can still give yourself a fancy name and invoice and advertise as a company. You just need to put something like 'Joe Bloggs trading as JB Building Services' on any paperwork.

Insurance will be for you damaging someones property while on site. Pretty essential.

Sponsored Links
I have had my own business most of my life. always keep things small, no need to be a ltd company, avoid VAT as long as you can. if the business name is your name you can pay the cheques into your account. business accounts cost money and a business cheque is a worthless pice of paper. you will need advice from an accountant before you start.
Not strictly correct advice.

Even with a modest turnover it can be more profitable to be LTD.

VAT - Depends who the mainstream customers are. Also depends on how much kit you have to buy.

I would always advise getting a seperate business account, even if self employed. No, they don't need to cost. Most banks have free accounts now.

you can call it what you want with out it being limited
business cheques are a waste of time as suppliers often will not take them, and the charges are ok for the first few months then they go sky high,

Sponsored Links
Back