Cheques. Who uses them?

Haven't used a cheque for 6/7 years, I'm still given one at least once a year and it's a nightmare, the last one I received the bank managed to lose and it took about 4 months to sort out, it was only for a few hundred fortunately.
99% of payments to me these days are BAX, 0.5% cash and 0.5% cheques.

About 30 years ago, maybe a little longer, Slough Borough Council, for reasons unknown, handed over the running of one of the smaller waste disposal sites to a gypsy family who lived onsite in a caravan. They decided that for some goods a fee should be charged, cash natch.
One day my wife took some stuff to the tip and they advised her that there would be a £5 fee. She opened her handbag, took out a cheque book and said "certainly, to whom shall I make the cheque out to"
She told me that what followed was like a scene from a 'Hammer Horror' film, the Gypsy recoiled in terror as if he were a vampire being confronted by a crucifix. They let her off the fee.

shutterstock_159287108.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, regularly use cheques. Prefer cash and cheques as you know where you are - though I do have a debit and credit card too. Latter is mainly for foreign trips. Go to bank with cheques to pay bills and don't want a smart phone so no apps. Paying the occasional cheque from someone into the local LLoyds is no big problem - unlike the Nat west next door that always has a queue on the pavement due to Kung Flu. Was executor for my cousin's estate - only just finished winding it up. Executor accounts can't be run online so if you don't want to use cheques you would be stuck. Was quite a sizeable estate and over 18 months that it took to finalise I used almost 3 cheque books. So cheques aren't dead. Admit to being a bit of a luddite though. Still using only incandescent bulbs because they haven't been improved on, especially for reading. Will also be the last person in The UK driving a petrol/diesel vehicle. I only invest in technology if I really can't live without it.

Last edited:
Does anyone on here still use cheques?
Oops! I told Mrs Mottie that we'd had a cheque book come and she said "Yeah, I used the last one the other week"! Apparently, one of the charities we support sends her a little book of raffle tickets for her to sell and she just buys them herself - by sending a cheque off!

I had a customer last year (youngish couple). When it came to the bill I said you can pay by transfer or cheque,
They said they didn’t know what s cheque was, never seen one..... how old did I feel!!!!!
Had a different customer (long term) this year tear out a cheque for me. When I got in the van I took it out & low & behold there was a blank one behind mine, tore out by accident.
COUTTS & CO!!!!!!! Coutts only consider allowing you to open an account if you have half a million to pay in , very picky. My customer sold an early social media site to ITV for £30 million about 15 years ago.
I was sitting there with a blank Coutts cheque thinking of all the things I could do with it, briefly....... then went back & gave it to the wife...
she laughed a bit nervously & said we were just testing me!!!!

Sponsored Links
I have my milk delivered from a local dairy farm and they give me a bill every couple of months. I leave them a cheque to the farm account. They deliver before the morning milking so I never see the driver.

Yeah, thanks for that JD. Where is the local dairy? I might know it.

Oops! I told Mrs Mottie that we'd had a cheque book come and she said "Yeah, I used the last one the other week"! Apparently, one of the charities we support sends her a little book of raffle tickets for her to sell and she just buys them herself - by sending a cheque off!
One of the last cheques I wrote was to a charity (First Responders), 2016.

They are however antiquated and unreliable. I used to hate writing the stubs. I once left a load a stubs and filled them in later, but one cheque out of sequence. I had a heck of a game balancing the books that year. Missus was furious.

Coutts only consider allowing you to open an account if you have half a million to pay in , very picky.
Not quite true. My neighbours son had a Coutts bank account and he was only 20 at the time - he worked for an affiliated bank Nat West or RBS I think and they were allowed to have an account with them.

Couldn't live without a cheque book. With that I have a full record of all my transactions without carrying lots of receipts which can get lost. Accountant is happy as she only has to work through the book stubs.
Most painful is the limited number of paying slips now in cheque books.
I've lost money in the past through incorrectly entered details on card payments.
Presently only go to the bank once a month to pay in and take some cash out.

Yes I do use a card but it's associated with one account that has a limited sum in it.

One of my service people is moving back to taking cheques having spent nearly 6 months to get a payment sorted out that went to another account (not his). The person paying him wasn't very helpful.

One of my service people is moving back to taking cheques having spent nearly 6 months to get a payment sorted out that went to another account (not his). The person paying him wasn't very helpful.
They've changed things recently for that very reason. Nowdays, if you’re paying someone online via a direct bank transfer, the sort code and account number have to tally with the account name and you have to confirm it. It didn’t have to tally in the past - as long as the account number was live at the sort code, the payment would go through. Account name didn’t have to match the payee name either.

Haven't written a cheque for over 20 years. If I get a cheque for a small amount (very very rare) I probably wouldn't bother paying it in.

Coutts & co are very picky.
I was working in said customers house just before Christmas a few years ago. I answered the door for a delivery....... 4 cases of Champagne, a Christmas present from the bank.. I’ve never even had a card from mine!

As above, sit on fridge magnet until I’ve got a few & then post them.
Bank Transfers are great. So much easier all round. 99 percent of my work is paid by transfer.

Sponsored Links
Back