Cheques. Who uses them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just had a new cheque book for our joint personal account drop through my door. I don’t even know what happened to the old one, I haven’t written a cheque out from any of our accounts, personal or business, for at least 8 years. In fact the only cheques I can remember seeing is from the mother in law when we did her shopping for her in the last lockdown. Even then, I didn’t physically pay them in - I just photographed them, paid them in via the banking app and tore them up.

Does anyone on here still use cheques?

Sponsored Links
Not me. I don't even know if I still have the book for UK account. It might be somewhere - "filed away".

Bank here did not issue one - five years now.

One of my senior customers pays by cheque, I have to write it out and she signs it, right PITA

Don't think I've had a cheque book for 20 something years :)

I got a refund from my mums car for road tax, a whole £6.50. Didn't bother paying it in, as by the time I paid for petrol to get to the next town as mine doesn't have a bank, parking etc to get to the bank, queued up. Too much bother tbh, would rather do something nicer with my time :)

Sponsored Links
Barclays accept cheques through the app you just take a picture of it and it will be paid in. Road tax refunds over the years I have paid in like this.

Barclays accept cheques through the app you just take a picture of it and it will be paid in. Road tax refunds over the years I have paid in like this.
Yeah, my mate got a £220 road tax refund cheque on his car that was stolen the other week. He called in to my garage telling me that the queue at the bank was ridiculous and he would have to go back later. I showed him how to use his app to pay it in and he was well impressed. A bit ticked off that they couldn’t pay it direct to his account though in the same way as he paid for it!

At the end of the day, I still like the paper trail that cheques provide but hardly ever use them.
John :)

Yeah, my mate got a £220 road tax refund cheque on his car that was stolen the other week. He called in to my garage telling me that the queue at the bank was ridiculous and he would have to go back later. I showed him how to use his app to pay it in and he was well impressed. A bit ticked off that they couldn’t pay it direct to his account though in the same way as he paid for it!

You are paid by cheque in order that the issuing party keeps it in their bank longer, and that will accrue a lot of interest for big organisations.

'The cheques in the post' how many times have we heard that.

At least now we can say ' Sorry Luv, no cheques, pay by BACS'.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back