New Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello – I have purchased an ex council house and all the wiring is all running through conduit.

As the consumer unit needs changing, my plan is to change the mains ring circuit. 1 up stairs and 1 downstairs.

Would I be aloud to chase all the holes and sockets myself, also run the cable ready between each hole? Then get an electrician in to connect all up?

Electricians round here are expensive so am trying to do a lot myself

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you. So it is up to him, hot much i can do ?
So it is up to him, hot much i can do ?

good.gif
vokious88 - why did you write the same thing as tedglen2?

Well you could do it all yourself but to follow the correct procedures and to do it all safely you should follow the excellent advice you`ve already been given.

The Electrician you employ might be glad for you to do all/most of the hard work under his (her) supervision and for him to do all the connecting and testing himself. In other words for you to work as his labourer on your job.

Consult an electrician first to plan this out

Would I be aloud to chase all the holes and sockets myself, also run the cable ready between each hole? Then get an electrician in to connect all up?
As already stated if you intend to have an electrician sign off and take responsibility of your work, they should be on board at the planning and design stage, they will advise you on cable sizes for circuits, the routes that cables can be run(safe zones) the depth of chases that is permitted in walls(vertical chases no more than 1/3rd the depth of the wall/leaf, horizontal, no more than 1/6th the depth) and also the correct holing of joists, they must also be able to visually inspect all your work prior the cables being concealed in the fabric of the building.
Electricians round here are expensive so am trying to do a lot myself
Nothing wrong with that providing you carry out the correct procedures.
have a look in Wiki for useful advice.
Here are some links that you should look at:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back