New combi and radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to re-new my heating and hot water system.

At the moment I have:
- Potterton Flamingo 40 in the kitchen running the central heating. Radiators old.
- Cylinder (red insulation wrapped) in the back bedroom for the hot water (hot water has a fault on it - prob a blockage somewhere to do with the flow out from cylinder).
- Big cold water tank (corroded) in the loft and a smaller tank with a lid.

I want just a condensing combi to replace the lot the smaller the better and maybe a few radiators.

What are my best options?
I have not set a budget yet as I have had no quotes but I want to do this as cheap as I can without getting cheap and nasty if you know what I mean.

Any advice / guidence appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Chemically clean/ power flush system, upgrade controls and replace cylinder. Also inhibit installation with chemicals.

While you will not have a singing dancing boiler, you will certainly have a boiler that is unlikely to cost you arm and a leg.

Unless rads are unsightly, why replace?

the rads are unsightly / rusted be a lot of work to get them upto scratch.
they also have no thermostat control on them... all the pipe is very thin bendy stuff I don't know if that's an additional prob when replacing them.

re-mortgage?
does a condensing combi install really cost that much?

The ones in B&Q are about £800 I think... I was guessing install would take a couple of days £150 a day = £1100 is that about right or am I looking at more or less?

dont think ur in the same ballpark even. not many installers on less than 250 aday & that kinda work bumps up alot . prepare to sit down when the quotes come in.

eeek that's a lot.

I helped a mate put in his combi didn't seem like that much work he had to pay to get the gas tested for leaks.
Is it going to be expensive because I am getting the old stuff stripped out?

Maybe I should do the majority of the work myself.
I am not as confident as my mate was to be honest... I feel this might be pushing my limits.

It's not exactly fitting a shower type skill at this level, it's messing with the gas that bothers me most.
Other than that, I have no idea how to take the old big water tank in the loft out and emptied without flooding the place!!!

Update...
I got a Vallient 831 combi and new rads in all rooms and a basic bathroom suit, old cylinder taking out and water tank in roof taking down - £3000 all together

A lot but done now and I have hot water!!!!

You've got a real bargain at that price! 831 and 7 rads would be £3200ish + VAT at my prices. (dont know where you would find a corgi to work for £150 a day :eek: )

I hope the installer has commissioned the boiler correctly rather than just fit it on the wall and fire it up as a lot of them do ;)

JohnHamer1977 said:
The ones in B&Q are about £800 I think... I was guessing install would take a couple of days £150 a day = £1100 is that about right or am I looking at more or less?

:LOL:
dont make me laugh!!! are you really that nieve!!
i would be charging at least 3k for that!!
and you wouldnt get me going into b&q to buy that ****ty heating pack they've got for sale!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back