New consumer unit

The supply to the house is TT! Does this then cause a problem taking the earth to the outhouse?

Sponsored Links
Martin, if you have to ask what TT is then you are definately out of your depth. My advice is to stop now and get a qualified electrician to do this work for you.

Go to www.napit.org.uk and search for a sparky in your area.

TTC

That didn't really answer the question very constructively. Yeah I had to look up what TT meant. So I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations for which I appologise.

My question was about if TT would cause problems in running armoured cable to an outhouse about 12 mtr away?

Anyone who can offer advice, it would be appreciated.

No it wont cause any problems but you must know how you will terminate it at the outhouse end. If its TT then (obviously) you will need to provide an earth electrode at the outhouse end.
Got the correct test equipment?
How will you measure the earth impedance of the earth electrode?
What sort of consumer unit will you put there, insulated or metal?
Does the outbuilding contain any extraneous conductive parts?

and many more items to consider.......

TTC

Sponsored Links
martlewis said:
That didn't really answer the question very constructively.

What's the point of offering you advice if you clearly don't know what you are doing?

Will you appreciate that advice when you've frazzled yourself to a crisp because you did not understand?

There are countless things you need to be absolutely sure of before you reinstate a supply to a replaced consumer unit, especially so on a TT supply because the earth is less reliable.

Have you got a CU suitable for a TT supply?

Have you got an earth rod with a reading within spec?

Do you know what the spec is?

Have you got MEB's to supply pipework?

Have you got supplementary in the bathroom?

Do you know what tests to do when certifying a board change?

Have you informed LBC?

There are more, believe me.

Now, if you have to question any of these points, then I'm very sorry. You ARE out of your depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back