New consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new consumer unit in place, various circuits added. All that's left is to switch existing circuits from the old unit to the new one. There is a breaker installed after the meter so I can isolate the mains but the tails are way too short to reach the new cunsumer unit, even if it were in place of the old one cos it's wider.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to extend them or am I stuck with calling the electric company out to make the connection? Any sugestions would be a great help.

Sponsored Links
You can buy new longer tails from the isolation switch to the new consumer unit, what's the problem with doing that?

TTC

Can't you open up the "dead" side of the switch and replace the tails. Sometimes the DNO's seal them up but they shouldn't. Although it is their switch, the tails leaving it for the CU are yours.

Sponsored Links
The isolation is a circuit breaker that has a wire seal on it so I guess I can't open it.

A photo would be very handy.

For example, the MEM 100A DP can come in an enclosure where the load side terminals can be exposed without removing the cover (for just such an eventuality).

DNO = Distribution Network Operators (DNOs):The companies which operate the Distribution Network in the UK. (or dunno!!)

Someone like Eastern Electricity

TTC

The earth leakage has an access at the top for the incoming terminals which isn't sealed, and an access at the bottom for the cu side which has a wire seal through the screw.

The attached pic... bottom left = meter, bottom right = radio teleswitch (any suggestions what this is for just out of curiousity?), top left = earth leakage trip (which I will trip to isolate the cu), top right = old cu.

cu.jpg

martlewis said:
The earth leakage has an access at the top for the incoming terminals which isn't sealed, and an access at the bottom for the cu side which has a wire seal through the screw.
sounds like someone put the seal on the wrong screw........

if it were me i'd just snip it

I'm sure that won't be necessary... if you look again, I'm sure you'll find the sealed wire has already been cut, it must have been done by the previous electrician, before you moved in.

BTW the radio teleswitch will be to pick up clock signals that turn your off-peak meter on and off the day and night scales.

Where is the main earth wire?

Found the earth, it feeds in from above the cu.

Next problem is that whoever wired the house left the wires out of the old cu so short there's no play on them to connect any of them to the new cu.

Help!!!?

Can they be extended and if so how? Or is it nothing but completely rewiring each of them? I hope extending is an option as the house has just been decorated and carpeted!

I am beginning (?) to get the feeling you are out of your depth.

what new consumer unit have you got because i think you may have a TT supply which is rarer and requires a different CU! allthough you may get round this encorperating the old earth leakage trip (which i think you are doing), but that doesnt sit right with me it looks old and i would replace it the a CU designed for a TT (but Im not a pro, or anything near a pro for that matter)

(i guess TT based on the earth leakage trip in the picture and the fact that the earth comes in the top of the CU rather than from the supply)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back