New Cooker Install Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you can offer some advice. I know I have to have a Part B eng check over the install, and have found one to test, and sign off when I am done, so thats all fab.

I am installing a Rangemaster Induction Cooker, this thing is a beast. They rate the total max power to be 15.8kW.

Now I have two consumer units at the moment. One RCD Protected with an 80A 30mA breaker, this covers only the house lights, boiler, and a few other low power items, including the garden supply.

The 2nd consumer unit has 100A double isolator, and has the house ring mains on, 4 individual rings.

Now I do not have anything high power, like an electric shower. So this cooker is going to be the beast. I was thinking of adding it to the consumer unit with the RCD.

Now looking at calcs, this is 60A + without taking into account diversity.

Am I correct in thinking I should use 10mm cable, and a 50A MCB?

I notice the cooker switch is rated at 45A.

The run from the consumer unit to the oven is 4 meters.

Any help would be great.

Oh the tales to each consumer units are 25mm.

Sponsored Links
Try working it out with diversity.
It is not OK to protect a 45A rated switch with a 50A MCB.
Why not have your Part P electrician do the work for you?

Sponsored Links
Ask you electrician.

She will be the one signing it off, so you need to make sure you use cable sizes etc. that she is happy with.

Sorry guys,

A misstype of course I ment B. lol,

I read that induction you cant apply diversity. Is this right?

Ask you electrician.

She will be the one signing it off, so you need to make sure you use cable sizes etc. that she is happy with.

I cant get hold of him tonight. I am going shopping at 7am tomorrow. Forgot to call him today got caught up tiling the floor. The fun never ends.

So 45A MCB with 45A Cooker Switch and 10mm cable.

I cant find a cooker switch rated any more than 45.

Just got hold on the manufacture. They have confirmed 45A MCB to be RCD protected and 10mm Cable.

Cheers all :)

I wonder if you can offer some advice. I know I have to have a Part B eng check over the install, and have found one to test, and sign off when I am done, so thats all fab.
So you've found a registered electrician who is prepared to let you design and install a circuit and then falsify certificates and lie on official forms to say that he did it all?

Don't leave him unsupervised for a second - he's utterly dishonest, so who knows what he might do given half a chance.

Sorry I think you miss understand. I am buying the stuff, pulling the cable though the trunking, that is all still fully visable, then he is connecting and testing, then signing. I needed to get the right parts today, ready for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back