New Electrical regulations for Let flat in Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please confirm the new regs regarding the requirements for rented flats, for smokies, CO detectors & general requirements?
Is there a check list for Sparks for the minimum requirements of the property & testing requirements?
Cheers chaps

Sponsored Links
So in a standard 3 Bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom & hall house. I'd need 3 smokies & 1 heat alarm. Smokies; kitchen, hall & livingroom, with an additional heat alarm in the kitchen, all hard wired?

Is a battery CO detector OK?

Sponsored Links
So in a standard 3 Bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom & hall house. I'd need 3 smokies & 1 heat alarm. Smokies; kitchen, hall & livingroom, with an additional heat alarm in the kitchen, all hard wired?

Is a battery CO detector OK?

If the property is a bungalow yes, otherwise at least one smoke alarm would be required on each additional storey. Also to be considered is the distances of the location of the alarms between bedrooms. Which I believe to be no greater than 3m from door openings.

Reading the info it would seem the person doing the work has to have been trained within the last 3 years. I talked about this on another thread as it seems those working in the rest of UK do not upgrade their qualifications so often and there are no refresher courses offered in local English or Welsh colleges. I question if the requirements comply with EEC requirements on free movement of labour between member states. But in real terms if offered two days work inspecting and testing in Scotland I would simply refuse. Unless for a month or more not worth going to a Scottish collage to comply.

I would think if you had gone for a refresher course you would not be asking the questions.

Reading the info it would seem the person doing the work has to have been trained within the last 3 years. I talked about this on another thread as it seems those working in the rest of UK do not upgrade their qualifications so often and there are no refresher courses offered in local English or Welsh colleges. I question if the requirements comply with EEC requirements on free movement of labour between member states. But in real terms if offered two days work inspecting and testing in Scotland I would simply refuse. Unless for a month or more not worth going to a Scottish collage to comply.

I would think if you had gone for a refresher course you would not be asking the questions.

Trained EM?? I'll wire up the smokies etc myself mate, it's not rocket science a bit of 1.5m2 3core + E.
While I'm a Plumber & Heating Engineer, I could wire houses in my sleep.

A bit of a mixed bag on new builds here. If hard wiring was missed on first fix they stick a battery CO detector in!!
Well bit of a schoolboy error missing CO detector on F/F, I would opt for the 2no RF bases and wire to the nearest suitable power outlet.
You will also need an alarm controller then to indicat whether the source of the alarm is fire or CO.

There's not a problem wiring everything & interlink. All on the one floor & attic above......(y)

Trained EM?? I'll wire up the smokies etc myself mate, it's not rocket science a bit of 1.5m2 3core + E.

There is a need for BS7671 and BS5839 Pt6 certification from a competent person. I am a registered contractor could probably do plumbing (I served my time wiring heating systems and working for heating installers), but can't provide a Gas Safe cert- it's all about the paperwork

I did a test this weekend on a flat that had smoke detectors installed (but no heat in kitchen) and the new detector install did not comply with BS7671.

There were 26 items in the list on the EICR.

If you see the Scottish Government PRHP site HERE and look for the download on electrics.

upload_2015-12-7_0-47-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-7_0-44-56.png
    upload_2015-12-7_0-44-56.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 107

There is a need for BS7671 and BS5839 Pt6 certification from a competent person. I am a registered contractor could probably do plumbing (I served my time wiring heating systems and working for heating installers), but can't provide a Gas Safe cert- it's all about the paperwork

I did a test this weekend on a flat that had smoke detectors installed (but no heat in kitchen) and the new detector install did not comply with BS7671.

There were 26 items in the list on the EICR.

If you see the Scottish Government PRHP site HERE and look for the download on electrics.

View attachment 89447

I know I'll need it signed off by a registered Spark mate. That's not a problem, I've a few mates I've worked with that'll do that. Most of them don't have a Scobby about controls wiring or electronics & are a bunch of wire pullers!!

Cheers
I spent my apprenticeship wiring S and Y plans as well as house bashing.

The new rules are working- I did an EICR at the weekend (abject fail) and the tenant was due to move in tomorrow.
The move in date has now been postponed until Thursday to allow the remedial works to be carried out, this is for a landlord who has 7 properties.

Previously this would have never been done or thought about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back