New Ensuite - Regs and Sloped Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently planning and designing a new en-suite in our master bedroom. This is an entirely new room as there is no ensuite already.

The ceiling along the back, longest wall is sloped with the lowest point being around 5ft. Is there any regulations regarding minimum height/headspace within a shower cubicle/tray? I cant seem to find any concrete information regarding this.

Or can I go ahead and crack on with what seems reasonable.

Thanks
shower_layout_side.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd have a mock up/trail run with that - looks tight. Don't forget you'll likely have to insulate under the rafters if not already done. A suitably positioned velux could help as the glass is on the outside.

Sponsored Links
No minimum heights, a new bathroom is subject to Building Control approval however.

Thanks, and they have been contacted.

Unless you're a small person, how are you going to shower in there?

I'm not tallest so I would probably manage, but anyone 6ft + might have difficulty haha

We have a little room to make it wider than the 1m I've currently measured out, but obviously this starts to eat away at bedroom space.

I'd have a mock up/trail run with that - looks tight. Don't forget you'll likely have to insulate under the rafters if not already done. A suitably positioned velux could help as the glass is on the outside.

They're not currently insulated. You think this is something building control would flag up and make me replace? Obviously we'd lose more height to the insulated pb.

They're not currently insulated. You think this is something building control would flag up and make me replace? Obviously we'd lose more height to the insulated pb
Definitely important in a shower room unless you like scrubbing mould.
You need the surfaces to be warm enough that the condensation evaporates off again before it gets chronic mould. The best way to do that is plenty of insulation (or keep the room at 25c+ all the time)
Showers are worse than baths because of the high humidity created

I'd assume the correct method would be to insulate between rafters with foam board(celotex or similar), leaving space for air flow behind, then over board with insulated PB?

I'd assume the correct method would be to insulate between rafters with foam board(celotex or similar), leaving space for air flow behind, then over board with insulated PB?
Sounds about right, the over board is the important bit to prevent staining, but you don't need much on it, celotex is a good option if you don't have much depth.
Regs are about 0.25 or something which would be over 100mm celotex but just do your best.

Remember to put the shower head low enough so that your guests can oscillate between cracking their heads on the wall/ceiling and bashing their noses on the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back