New floor advice needed

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello I am not new to the forum but have not posted for a long time and had to create a new account as my email has changed... but I am now in need of more help. So any advice is most welcome!
I have an old house down in France which is made from round stones and mortar, which is sometime stronger in some places than others. Anyway I have a 5m x 3m store room that currently has just a mud floor which I would like to create a floor in. The walls in this room are in good condition and i think the mortar is quite strong also. I had thought about a concrete floor but getting the material into the site would not be easy and I suspect the delivery cost would also be high as we are about 35km from the nearest supplier. So I have an idea that one way of making this floor would be to use timber joists and chipboard flooring. The main question I would ask is this is it sensible to fix my main bearing timbers to the walls using some expanding anchoring bolts through the timber into the mortar of the wall? The timber I will be using is all 63mm x 175mm. I thought that if I fixed a 5 m x 63 mm x 175mm to each wall and then used 3m x 63mm x 175mm joists at 500mm centres and topping it off with 22mm chipboard flooring I could make a stable floor? This would not be a high traffic area I would probably be using it as a store/workshop. The reason I want to use bolts to fix the timbers is basically to save my body from heavy work involving foundations and the like... I am not getting any younger :)
any help from the experienced would be most appreciated
thanks
John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back