New Friend 7.3kg so far

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't think it would be long before we had another. Wife was "reluctant" but went to see this one. I usually go alone first but this time son and his lady came too. All sold on her however an import and allowed myself to be hoodwinked. How and why really? Not sure. I didn't ask obvious questions. However it looks like there shouldn't be any problems sorting things out.

Meet Bree.
IBreePupWeighedFirstTime.jpg

I put her in the container to weigh her on the bathroom scales. ;) She then decided to curl up and have a nap in it. Now gone to see what the wife is up to.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Nice looking dog there and dont want to spoil the party but have it checked over for your own peace of mind.

Yes I know. However no signs of fleas until she had been here for hours. But she may have come from Slovakia rather recently.. Pet passport, EU type. Various things filled in by a vet plus stickers. So off to a vets as soon as I can. :) They'll probably tell me off but should be able to make some sense of it and sort out what may be needed.

One odd thing is a 2year reminder stuck to the back of it along with the microchip details. That is in the left side of her neck according to the details. Not where they are usually put here.

The seller also suggested a hand full of food. Doesn't make much sense so just gave her 100g and she was obvious hungry and came and thanked me after she had eaten it. I'd reckon near 3 of those per day. She has the rights sort of degree of fat on her though.

She follows us around easily - ;) put a lead on and she may decide to stop dead still. Beginning to respond to Bree. Not bad really as picked up ~7pm last night.

Australian Shepherd if anyone is interested. Odd name for an American bred dog from Spanish ones :) so gave her an Irish name.

Not sure what the female version of jumping jack flash is. Body length at least trying to get on the kitchen counters.

Strops last night. Didn't want to comply but ok this morning. Now tearing around the garden when out. That will help with toilet training.

Strops may be cropping up after I tell her off - ;) work in progress.

Might leave a plastic bag my wife sticks in a small bin alone now.
May have stopped her jumping on the settee and chairs.

Hopefully no more small scenting piddles - some female dogs will do that. I suspect that is what a few have been,

Some idiot has had her on their lap. That may take a while to cure.

:eek:She'll finish up a bit smaller than a German Shepherd. Couple of inches or so.

The best fix for loosing a 'best friend' is to get another one, but logically the wrong thing to do, though everyone gives in. I have never been able to resist.

Last week, my BC showed signs of what happened to her older, bigger step brother. She suddenly became reluctant to climb steps. Her brother just progressed to the point where he couldn't even carry his weight on the level, or raise himself up off the floor, so reluctantly time to have him put down.

Two days and she was back to normal, so I'm guessing she just had a fright going up or down the stairs. I don't mind her climbing on furniture, but she always asks if she is allowed, before climbing up. One of her things, is to ask if she can sit at the side of me, next thing you know she has her 'arms' round my neck, head resting on my shoulder.

With the recent warm and restless nights, I have sometimes given up on trying to sleep and instead have taken her out for a wander round the village off the lead. Perfectly safe, I can hear vehicles long before they get near. Now she has begun waking me when she fancies a middle of the night stroll. If she needs to go out in the middle of the night, she reaches up and twangs the edge of the mattress.

The best fix for loosing a 'best friend' is to get another one, but logically the wrong thing to do, though everyone gives in.
Sums it up really. My wife was pushing me to get rid of the cage - seeing it reminded her. No more big dogs and not having another etc. She's now laughing about the usual problems pups have. This one personality wise is a bit of a cutey pie.Plenty of tail wagging etc and loves a fuss.

How did we finish up with her. Spent an hour there and my reactions was I'll sleep on it. Payment bank transfer which I couldn't do there. Then it turns out some one else coming the day after so someone says I can make the transfer. :) I'm sort of encouraged by all there. I muttered about concerns driving back - response no, can't be like that etc. Fact is an advert selling several pups might just to be to sell this one who may have only been in the UK for a couple of days. The problems post from some one - I don't assume, I find out, The main thing is that it is a valid EU dog passport so check that the microchip is correct. Our vet can do that and I may ask for a rabies titration test to see that she has been vaccinated - depends what the vet thinks plus anything else they suggest. So I may have forked out £1550 for a series of problems but I wont assume I have, She could be from an honest devious breeder. Catching something from her - personal hygiene when needed is important when owning any dog. My wife has handled several kids at school that had problems due to dogs. She worked at a special school.

I do think something should be done about this if the above is near correct, The dogs entry needs to be logged to check that they also exit. Rescue dogs figure too. At least a pup has more chance of not having caught anything worrying. The mother for instance would abort if she had the problem mentioned. Male useless. Mind you the UK gets things it didn't have from all sorts of imported items.

Rabies vaccination and checks for them giving immunity are pretty common in the EU. In Slovakia it's a must irrespective of a passport. Seems cats can catch it too. Foxes as well. No idea what it does to them. Lung worm came in via snails. The first vet we used, now shut, gave out broad spectrum wormers FOC on the first visit. Had to be put in cheese paste to get the dog to accept them. Now we are expected to treat monthly and the lung worm risk has spread around most of the country, ;) At least the tablets are dog tasty.

Sums it up really. My wife was pushing me to get rid of the cage - seeing it reminded her. No more big dogs and not having another etc. She's now laughing about the usual problems pups have. This one personality wise is a bit of a cutey pie.Plenty of tail wagging etc and loves a fuss.

When they are nearing the end, it's easy to say 'never again', as I have done each and every time because they are such a responsibility and so tying, having to organise your life around them. Each time, within weeks there has been a replacement.

I realised this morning I was almost out of milk, couldn't be bothered getting the car out or to walk, so I was going to try to make it last out, until I checked on the buses and realised they were running as normal. I decided to jump on a bus and take her along for the ride, as I sometimes do if it's just a quick shop. She used to be a bit 'difficult' meeting strangers on buses, but she seems to just accept it now - she was walking up and down the isle saying hello to everyone, lapping up the attention she was getting.

She used to be a bit 'difficult' meeting strangers on buses, but she seems to just accept it now - she was walking up and down the isle saying hello to everyone, lapping up the attention she was getting.
Our last GS was like that when ever she met someone she didn't know. Getting better all of the time when she realised that people would make a fuss of her. I think she was a bit of a nervous dog especially from the first time I took her to the vets when she was a pup. Some one with the same build as the breeder was coming in the opposite direction - she hid behind me. Later she would bark at most people.

People and this one. Lead training before I can find out. In the house she wants to be by either me or my wife and if in different rooms checks what each of us are doing now and again. She's started playing with toys now. Not much but a start. We usually allow a dog to think they are theirs ;) despite the usual advice. That rules out toy training where the toy is used as a treat. One trainer that I do respect suggest a special one just for me to use with her. Not that any can help really with some dog problems. There is a local one, lots of dogs where they ask for a visit to see if the dog is disruptive, even brand new pups. ;) I may use that to see if she is. They wont want to know if she is - pretty typical really of lots of them.

Our last GS was like that when ever she met someone she didn't know. Getting better all of the time when she realised that people would make a fuss of her. I think she was a bit of a nervous dog especially from the first time I took her to the vets when she was a pup. Some one with the same build as the breeder was coming in the opposite direction - she hid behind me. Later she would bark at most people.

She is a strange mix of very timid and bold. She barks at anyone showing her attention whom she doesn't know, but if they ignore the barking and pet her, she is suddenly their best friend. She never forgets anyone she has met before. She can sit quietly by my drive gates for hours, but if anyone walks by warily, or acts slightly strangely, or goes by on the phone she barks. She even runs away if I use the phone, usually up she goes to lie on the landing out of the way. Other dogs, she always barks at. Any strange noises and she runs and hides away. Her safest hideaway is in the bottom of the bath, given a chance.

I read a comparison between Collies and Australian Shepherds. The comments about the Shepherds were similar to most other than training experience being a good idea. It reckoned that Collie breeds tend to be more nervous. AS the other way round. The 2 breeds are similar in a number of ways but the Collie is reckoned to be more intelligent. That is related to the % successful commands that are obeyed. :) Pass really. All sorts of factors can be read. BC's, GS and proper poodles rate highly. AS according to some sources just about in the top category.

One problem part solved. She poo's shortly after a meal and went out of her own accord. Also when I took her out. She wants people around her at the moment, just putting her out should be ok at some point. ;) Pity about night tine currently but that may I hope pass. It usually does as dogs do not like soiling their home. Maybe not encouraged on this one.

Piddle more difficult. Probably have to work on into the kitchen initially and go on from there,

The joys of owning a dog - just ordered a compact carpet cleaner that I assume can also be used on tiled floors,

Don't know anything about dogs, but are you saying you think its a smuggled puppy? If so, Surely you need to get some advice asap? Should it not go in to quarantine ?

Don't know anything about dogs

The passport means no quarantine. The whole idea. These to me need checking just as human ones are. They may or may not be. How the puppy has arrived is a matter of conjecture really. Slovakians visit Slovakia. There are all sorts of possibilities good and bad. Passport costs differ dramatically between countries.

Anyway looks like Bree is going to be Becky. ;) No family objections - yet. Difference - she looks at me as soon as I say it. I need to have a name sorted before visiting the vets. The vet can settles several aspects. The dogs microchip code can be transferred to the UK. One check is that this matches the dog.

One problem part solved. She poo's shortly after a meal and went out of her own accord. Also when I took her out. She wants people around her at the moment, just putting her out should be ok at some point. ;) Pity about night tine currently but that may I hope pass. It usually does as dogs do not like soiling their home. Maybe not encouraged on this one.

Piddle more difficult. Probably have to work on into the kitchen initially and go on from there,

Of all the dogs I/we've had, we have never had the slightest problem with that. Never needed to consciously train them at all. She has complete freedom to roam the house and the garden in summer when the side door is always open for her. If there is anything she needs, she is quite able to tell me - during the day, she comes and stares at me, then I say the list of possibilities. When I hit the right thing, she gets exited. If she has a need during night when I'm in bed, she comes up and twangs the edge of the mattress to wake me.

She woke me at 3am this morning, to insist we went for a walk.

Sponsored Links
Back