New gas boiler in outside utility room

Do some schooly sums - for your loft basin hot tap you're going to waste something like 3litres of water which you also have to heat. Depending on pressure etc you might have to wait 20 seconds for hot to heat the pipes and to arrive and it'll cost you a few pence (order of 5) each time, though the house will absorb the heat while the pipe cools down again.
Secondary returns are small radiators too, but they save the wait. You can add up the cost of parts & labour.
You either pay up or put up!

Yep true, KenGMac link demonstrates the wastage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, it's clear to avoid wastage of the cooling down water, a return is required, we are not on a meter but thats not an excuse to waste the cold water.

The options are leave the CH/Megaflow as is and get a smaller sink for that area.

or

find a new internal space for the megaflow and possibly replace boiler with a smaller unit.

if in outside utility

need hot return & flow (Grundfos Comfort type pump) to terminate to the existing megaflow position (so no change to hot water demand on tap internally)
need new return flow pipes for radiators
new boiler
underground boxing / insulation / Uponor type of insulation (expensive)
labour cost

I estimate around £3000 for all this.

whilst following The Real Pin 5 leads, on youtube I came across a solution that pushes warm water into the cold water pipe until the sensor detects warmer water, but this is not allowed in UK as I think you can't feed heated water into the cold system.

Grundfos have thermostats built into to detect return water, if the return temp is high then it switches off to save energy.

It also means a lot of water can be wasted until hot water reaches the tap.

It is worth finding space to fit the hot water cylinder ( Megflo ) as close to the taps as possible ( shortest runs for hot water ). This will mean long pipes for flow and return between boiler and cylinder but the water circulating in that loop is not wasted.

You are such a genius.

Sponsored Links
When I stay in hotels, I must say I do just love the immediate hot water from the secondary return.

At home, I use the warm up flow time for the hot to clean my teeth!

Do you clean your teeth 30 times a day?

The options are

so far there has been no input from your heating/plumber installer ,it looks like a straight forward job for an experienced tradesman but its needs good planning,starting with the incoming mains water flow rates being checked.

If you have not got an installer booked to do the work,i would suggest gettting one pdq as this time of year they are often on their extended holidays sailing around the med in their million $ yachts (y)

... they are often on their extended holidays sailing around the med in their million $ yachts (y)

Thanks, good input and its a prompt for me... sometimes its better to get a view from many (like you guys on this forum) than just the heating engineer in this case. He would be happy, even just to lift and shift the current system boiler & megaflow.

I have two queries / or rather two areas I am confused about.

I am unsure and have to think about boxing in the pipes and how best to insulate them, the Uponor system is too expensive, could anyone help ?

We already have a 20mm MDPE by the new Utility, may I ask if there are any issues with using JD Speedfit pvc pipes for CH return/flow and also for HW return/flow (HW will be on a Grundfos Comfort pump, terminating where the megaflow is now) and Gas pipe will obviously be a copper pipe.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back