New gas feed from outside meter - cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 60s maisonette with a concrete floor.
The main gas feed comes out of the floor in a cupboard in the centre of my flat where it originally fed a warm air central heating. I’ve had a new boiler installed in the loft and the gas pipe is fed into the loft to feed the new boiler.
I also have a separate feed being fed into my bathroom and into my kitchen feeding my gas hob.
I want to use this cupboard to expand the size of my tiny bathroom. Therefore the main gas feed will be coming out of the floor in the bathroom.

Is it possible to easily chase the floor and reroute the gas feed so it can be fed into a new stud wall?

if not, I will need to get a new feed from the meter, up the side of my flat and into my loft and connected onto the gas pipe in my loft.
I’ll also want to get a new feed from the gas pipe in the loft chased into the wall in my kitchen to feed my hob so I can remove the 2nd feed from the meter.

How much would this likely cost?
I just need a ballpark figure so I can plan when to get the job quoted for.

I can’t see this taking more than a day for an experienced gas engineer.

Sponsored Links
I can certainly see it taking more than a day. Unlikely to be possible to chase it into the floor but it depends on the construction. As for pricing, there are loads of variables and it's always easier to get someone in who can actually see the work that needs doing. Is your maisonette ground floor or half way up a building? Presumably the gas meter is in a communal area? It's not clear from your post. Do you have any idea what sort of length of run is required, and what the total power of the appliances to be connected is? What area of the country are you in.

Thanks @muggles.
Good points. I didn’t add enough info.

My flat is first floor of a 2 floor maisonette and is in Teddington in south west London.

My meter is next to my external front door in my garden. A new feed can go from the meter directly vertical into the loft.

I would guess that the feed from the meter to the gas pipe in the loft would be about 7 or 8 meters with 2 or 3 bends.

The feed from the gas pipe in the loft to the hob would be about 3 or 4 metres with 2 or 3 bends and a 2m wall chasing and connection to the hob.

Not sure about the power supply of the hob. It looks like a standard 4 burner hob.

First thing you'd need to do is establish whether you can actually get permission to run a gas pipe up the side of the building. Assuming you can, it'll probably need to be done in steel barrel externally. Given your location I'd have thought around £1000 without having seen the job

Sponsored Links
Not saying you are wrong, but - Why steel barrel outside?
Not sure it's in the regs but have noticed on new builds for multi-occupancy buildings it's now often steel externally. Might just be to protect it from theft though

Not sure it's in the regs but have noticed on new builds for multi-occupancy buildings it's now often steel externally. Might just be to protect it from theft though

Thanks - I was just curious if there was a regulation, because I have seen very accessible copper used in high risk of theft, public areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back