New Kitchen, RCD question

I think your scientific method is flawed. For example my son tripped the rcd and is still alive.
I wouldn't say that my scientific method is particularly flawed (well, not as flawed as your sample of 1!), but the data available to me (i.e. my sample size) is very limited in relation to the study of what I imagine we will all agree are extremely rare events.
So out of a sample of one, I have experience a potential live saving of at least one person. So 100% saving of life.
I would suggest that that is flawed not only (obviously) in relation to sample size, but also in interpretation - since there is no way in which you can know whether or not your son would still be alive if there had not been an RCD. I've been much more careful for the last several decades (and hence have suffered no serious shocks during that period) but, in my foolish youth I suffered a few shocks which easily could have killed me, but didn't
The original question, which *was* meaningful, was how many people died of electric shocks before rcds appeared. Because these *will* appear in statistics.
We've been through this many times, and the available statistics are of far less value that you seem to give them credit for. Things have got a fair bit better in recent times (which is of no help for historical comparisons) but it's not really possible to find reliable figures for domestic electrocutions in the pre-RCD days, since the available data muddles them all up with industrial electrocutions, electrocutions related to electricity transmission and even those due to electrified railway lines. I'll try to dig out the figures (yet again!) but I seem to recall that the total number of deaths recorded as being due to electrocution (all types and locations) has changed relatively little for many decades.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I leave my post to speak for itself. I find your response unsatisfactory.

I leave my post to speak for itself. I find your response unsatisfactory.
Fair enough, that is your prerogative. However, I would urge you to consider whether your "So 100% saving of life" should actually be "So 0% or 100% saving of life", the figure depending upon what would have happened to your son in the absence of an RCD - something we will obviously never know.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back