New Kitchen, RCD question

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, fist time posting in a long time on here. My Mum is getting a new kitchen to replace her +38 year-old one!!

She’s not wanting any sockets moving or any new circuits. There is an electric cooker switch already wired in but her current oven is gas which she will probably change to a new electric oven.

Her “consumer unit” is really old and I think still has clip-in fuses instead of MCB/MCCBs and definitely no RCD protection.

Obviously she’d be better off gettting a new CU with RCD etc... if she’s putting an electric oven in BUT is it a regs requirement??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you are not changing any of the wiring or adding anything new, then nothing needs to be changed.
You can keep the 40+ year old wiring for as long as you want.
Cookers and other appliances do not need RCDs anyway - it's the wiring, socket outlets and lighting that does.

However it's totally ridiculous to have a new kitchen without replacing the wiring.

However it's totally ridiculous to have a new kitchen without replacing the wiring.

A new CU wouldn't involve re-wiring the whole ring though would it?? Surely it would be tested and if sound the wires can stay?

My thinking was a new load on old wiring might put it in danger

Sponsored Links
Nowadays it seems unthinkable that replacing a 40 year old kitchen won't require any alterations and additions to the fixed wiring.

Are there really enough sockets? Are sockets for under worktop appliances neatly hidden? Will there be an extractor fan? Under unit lights?

Electrics are a major part of most new kitchens now, there was a time when people made do with just a few sockets, now it's quite extensive.

Fair point re the under-cupboard lighting which would constitute a new circuit and therefore warrant the RCD. She says she’s happy with the sockets she’s got at the moment and doesn’t want any more appliances than what she’s got Now (apart from changing the oven from gas to electric - but there’s already a cooker point from the previous oven).

She’s not even fussed about an extractor for the hob!

What I wanted to clarify was whether it needed a new CU IF none of the wiring changed, which I think has been answered so thank you all very much

Now there’s an idea! Sack the kitchen off and cook over fire. Job done :LOL:

Do you realise that cooking by electric is much more energy efficient than cooking with gas ?

I don't believe a gas oven is one third of the efficiency of an electric one. Anyway any lost heat goes into heating the kitchen in either case.

In terms of ovens, I think gas would be cheaper over the life of the appliance, as although electric may be more efficient, it isn't 3x more efficient, so a gas oven is likely to save vs electric.

In terms of hobs, say an induction Vs gas, it's probably better to have the electric, as it may well be efficient enough to be cheaper than gas (although I don't know enough about hobs to be certain)

In terms of hobs, say an induction Vs gas, it's probably better to have the electric, as it may well be efficient enough to be cheaper than gas (although I don't know enough about hobs to be certain)

However induction hobs have a shorter life than gas hobs and are expensive to replace.

Induction is far superior to gas, and every bit as responsive.

My gas tank froze over a couple of bad winters meaning that I couldn't cook. After two or three years of that I binned it for the superior induction hob. No regrets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back