New light fitted but not working (photo's attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to replace this :

IMAG8988.jpg

With this :

342610_R_Z001

So this is the old hanging bulb rose :

IMAG9324.jpg

IMAG9326.jpg

Which has

3 x earth (green/yellow) in 1 cable
1 x live (black with red sleeve)
2 x neutral (black)
3 x loop (red)

IMAG9331.jpg

However the new light fitting only has a hole for Live and Neutral, and a screw to connect Earth to :

IMAG9333.jpg

So my initial question was, what do i do this those 3 red loop wires, and with the second neutral one ?

I went to B&Q and was advised to get one of these junction boxes, which i did, together with some wiring (which has a live, earth, and neutral in it)

4_Terminal_Junction_Box_30A-LP.jpg

As advised i then connected it up like this :

3 x earth --> terminal box --> 1 x earth into earth screw of new lamp
2 x neutral --> terminal box --> 1 x neutral into new lamp.
1 x live --> terminal box --> 1 x live into new lamp.
3 x loop --> terminal box (clamped together).

But i just tried the light, and it's not working.

Is it likely that one of the wires has become undone in the junction box, or have i wired something up incorrect ?

Sponsored Links
A photo of the wiring in the new junction box will help, it sounds correct from your explanation. The 1x live you speak of on the left hand side of your explanation is the black with the red sleeve btw.
Junction boxes should be accessible for inspection and testing too.
Piccy here of how it should be: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:jbnonharm
although you probably have brown and blue + earth for the new light

Sounds like the two black neutrals should be joined together with a short wire from this joint to the neutral on the lamp. All reds go together. The sleeved red over black goes directly to the lamp, or to a connection with a short wire from the connection to the lamp. Originally this is how it would have been with a hanging pendant - the 2 short wires mentioned above would have been the drop from rose to lamp.

Sponsored Links
Check your connections at the lamp holder, if they are push on type :)

Regards,

KA

I take it the black with the red sleeve is the same one as before you started.

Check all connections are secure.

Have to say the connection with the black with red sleeve and the brown looks appalling.

You shouldn't have too much exposed copper, also you must make sure the insulation isn't under the terminal screw.

You also shouldn't have the red and black and green and yellow emerging out of the junction box like that.

It's important if you take wires out of a connector that you check the wire end isn't too damaged before re-connecting it.

Flex in particular is prone to damage, so check for broken strands and re-strip.

Doubling over the ends of flex will make it more substantial so you get a better connection.

The lampholder on the fitting itself may be making a poor contact, so check this too.
Have another go and show us.

Sometimes the ES type of lamp doesn't make good contact with the terminals in the fitting. Screw in as far as possible without forcing it. If it doesn't light up try backing it off a bit at a time. I have found this sometimes works. As stated, tidy up the connections in the junction box as well.

Redone the wiring and now it's all working, thanks for the help everyone. :cool:

I struggled a bit getting the earth wire around that screw on the new lamp, so i've used this crimping ring terminal which i had left from when i was installing some car audio, i take it they're ok for this as well ?

No because the old black one was much bigger then this new white one, so i wouldn't have been able to get the old one through the hole in the ceiling.

So where is the white round junction box hiding ? is it pushed into the ceiling void and screwed to a joist over the new light fitting.

Very neat.

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back