New light for xmas! But how to fit it...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got a couple of new lights to fit in our landing (rose/cable and shade sets).

I wondered if anyone could let me know how I need to fit them. I've taken a photo of the existing fitting and the new one. I wasn't sure whether I need to use what is already there and get rid of the new connector. Vice versa. Or a mixture of the two!

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have one twin-and-earth cable to the existing ceiling rose you would remove the existing ceiling rose and connect the wires like for like to the new fitting.

However that fitting in its supplied form is illegal to install. The connector block is protected only by the decorative cover which hooks onto the hanging bracket. The connector must be enclosed by an enclosure which is only openable using a tool to gain access to live parts.

This does not apply to standard ceiling roses and lampholders which are exempt from that requirement, but that decorative fitting isn't a standard ceiling rose.

Protection by placing out of reach is not permitted in domestic installations.

You probably need to cut the decorative cover and terminal block off the flex and wire the flex into the existing ceiling rose, looping the wires over the hooks (following the brown and blue of the existing flex) to take the weight of the lampholder.

It's not clear from the photo whether the new fitting is, or requires, earthing.

Further note: if the new fitting is Edison Screw, the outer ring must be wired to the neutral (blue flex to the black wire in your existing twin-and-earth). If the flex in the fitting is not colour coded brown and blue, the fitting should be passed to Trading Standards.

WOW - some helpful and eye opening stuff there guys. Many thanks.

So answer some of the questions raised...:

- Yes, there is an earth wire and I believe it does require earthing because it is metal.

- The fitting is one of the small edison screw types.

- The cabling in the new light is coloured brown, blue and yellow/green.

- Half the reason for getting these new lights was so that we can replace the existing roses. So whilst I'm more than happy to replace the fittings etc (for sealed type or what ever is necessary) I still want to do away with the white rose and swap it for our new one.

One other thing, I've taken a couple of pics of our other rose wiring and it looks a lot more complicated:

Thanks again

Max

Sponsored Links
If you want to replace the roses as well (and that decorative fitting is not a suitable substitute for a ceiling rose) it may be advisable to terminate all the existing cables in a suitable junction box, widen the hole and push the junction box back into the ceiling void, then affix the decoratve rose over the hole and dangle the new light from its hook.

You would need to adjust the flex so that it can run through the decorative rose and into the junction box with all wires being enclosed in the outer flex sheath. This will reduce the drop available on the pendant.

Suitable junction boxes might be ChocBox or Ashley J501
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Connector_Strips/index.html#ChocBox

The junction box must remain accessible as these ones are not maintenance-free. All cables/flex must be clamped by cable clamps to the box. You will require additional terminal strip as you probably need about 6 terminals in total.

A pack of numbered cable markers may be useful
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CACMD.html
disconnect the wires one at a time, affix a label, and record which number wires go to which terminal.

Is there 2-way switching on that 2nd light?

Or is there something else connected to it?

How heavy are the fittings?

Personally, I'd just ditch the crappy roses that came supplied with them and wire directly into your existing ones.

Perhaps you could retain the new roses as a decorative trim over the top of your old ones if they are big enough?

yeuch - that would look rubbish! Just do the job properly with a jb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back