Well, not really. The faceplate is earthed by the earth wire. I cannot see the point of that metal bar.
Nor can I (and I don't recall having seen it before, for a switch), provided that a flylead ('earth wire') from backbox to faceplate is present.

I wonder if it's there in case there is no flylead, in which case it sort-of 'doubles' the chances of the faceplate screws providing an effective connection between backbox and faceplate?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do you think the faceplate looks like metal?
I did ask but there was no answer.

upload_2022-1-4_19-1-47.png

If the faceplate is metal then the bar isn't required whatever happens.

If it is plastic, then the bar could be for earthing both screws, even with a plastic back box - if someone thought that necessary. Although that would be a case of needlessly earthing parts which don't require it.

With a metal back box it again doesn't matter either way, the screws will either be earthed by the back box or not.

If there is no CPC, then again it matters not.

Do you think the faceplate looks like metal?
I did ask but there was no answer.

No answer as the photo was only for reference along with my post, nulling the relevancy of it. I’d posted it purely to show an image of what I was referring to.

The attached shows a clearly metal light switch, with the faceplate seemingly attached to a larger form of the ‘metal bar’ I’d shown in the previous image.

Attachments

• 20F4AAFC-CD48-439B-9997-2DBB1BA92F54.jpeg
    20F4AAFC-CD48-439B-9997-2DBB1BA92F54.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Do you think the faceplate looks like metal? ... I did ask but there was no answer.
I must confess that I hadn't thought of that, and have to say that it doesn't look like metal. In any event ...
(1)...If the faceplate is metal then the bar isn't required whatever happens. ... (2) ... If it is plastic, then the bar could be for earthing both screws, even with a plastic back box - if someone thought that necessary. Although that would be a case of needlessly earthing parts which don't require it. .... (3) ... With a metal back box it again doesn't matter either way, the screws will either be earthed by the back box or not. .... (4) ... If there is no CPC, then again it matters not.
Yep, I agree with all that - so, regardless of the situation, and as you said in the first place, it doesn't look as if there is any sensible explanation for the metal strap [other than your (2) above, which would seem a little odd]

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back