New Plug for Dishwasher - Junction Box or Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking to install an integrated dishwasher in a cupboard, however, I don't have a socket that it can plug into. Therefore, I am going to need to spur off of something to make a new plug, of which it seems I have two options.

I can see in the area I want to install it into there are two junction boxes. Nearby (on another wall opposite the kitchen cabinets) there is a plug I could potentially use.

Obviously the junction boxes are conveniently located. However, is there any advantage / disadvantage to using either the plug or junction box?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240504_121339.jpg
    20240504_121339.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240504_121309.jpg
    20240504_121309.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240505_112358.jpg
    20240505_112358.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Is that junction box actually part of a Ring? If the answer is yes you could remove that completely and replace it with surface backbox and a single socket. This would make it easier to remove the Dishwasher completely for any future maintenance a 13A fused connection unit could be suitable it it isn't a ring.

Need to find out what exactly those wires feed

Is that junction box actually part of a Ring? If the answer is yes you could remove that completely and replace it with surface backbox and a single socket. This would make it easier to remove the Dishwasher completely for any future maintenance a 13A fused connection unit could be suitable it it isn't a ring.

Need to find out what exactly those wires feed
Ah okay, thank you. How would I go about seeing if that junction box is part of the ring and also seeing where the wires feed?

Sponsored Links
What electrical test equipment do you have? A multimeter - as a minimum - is needed.
I don't at the mo, but I was looking to get some generally, so this is a good excuse. What would be required? I was looking at a VT12 Two Pole Voltage and Continuity Tester. However, there are much cheaper simple voltage testers if that's all that is required?

I don't at the mo, but I was looking to get some generally, so this is a good excuse. What would be required? I was looking at a VT12 Two Pole Voltage and Continuity Tester. However, there are much cheaper simple voltage testers if that's all that is required?
A Two Pole Voltage and Continuity Tester is what you need.

First off.
Read the instructions for the tester!
You need to know how to use it.

Then: check mains voltage across L&N in the JB. Then turn off the breakers one at a time until you find which one it is.
Report back with what rating the breaker is (eg B32) and what the circuit is called.

Then we can tell you the next step.

First off.
Read the instructions for the tester!
You need to know how to use it.

Then: check mains voltage across L&N in the JB. Then turn off the breakers one at a time until you find which one it is.
Report back with what rating the breaker is (eg B32) and what the circuit is called.

Then we can tell you the next step.
So I've done that now and have taken a picture of the breaker. It's the last one down (B32 61/B32 for the down sockets).

In terms of the JB above it, that's behind a wooden strut. I might just be able to get to it, unless this one is potentially suitable?

Attachments

• 20240507_174754.jpg
    20240507_174754.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 24
Are you able to let me know what the next steps are? Thanks!

Ah, there were two in the picture - the lower one is the one I am referring to. The JB above it is really tricky to get to!

The one at the back appears to be much smaller cable. Possibly lighting, so probably not fit for purpose.
Next step, as above. Take your two probe voltage tester snd confirm which circuit is on that JB. Don’t assume it is the downstairs socket circuit!

The one at the back appears to be much smaller cable. Possibly lighting, so probably not fit for purpose.
Next step, as above. Take your two probe voltage tester snd confirm which circuit is on that JB. Don’t assume it is the downstairs socket circuit!
Unfortunately due to the angle of it and there being a wooden beam right in front of it (close) I can't actually get even a mini ratcheting screwdriver in there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back