New pointing coming up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our drive extended to get a second car on and the whole lot repointed, it's crazy paving and has been down for years, it's not moving and is on a very solid concrete base.

I'm finding bits of the pointing coming up, it seems like there is a thin skin of solid surface but it's like sand under that for a cm or 2 where the original concrete base is.

A lot of the drive seems OK but I noticed after it rained there were sections where the pointing stayed damp looking for a lot longer, these sections seem to be the ones with the issue.

I've had the guy who did it back and they fixed up all the bits that were obvious but I'm now seeing more of it come up with the same symptoms. I'm concerned that although they are coming back to fix it without any quibbles so far that instead of the fresh new look we'll end up with a load of patch pointing as it goes gradually.

Does anyone know what the likely cause is and should I be asking for them to rake out the whole lot and do it again? I don't want to be a PITA but I also want the uniform new pointing that I paid for.

I've added a phot of how it starts, where you see the gap you can then see it's either sandy or hollow between the skin and the solid original base

Attachments

• PXL_20220422_150230437.jpg
    PXL_20220422_150230437.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Maybe just not packed down hard enough?. You really have to pack the joint fully.
If it dried out too quickly or got frost or something, I'd expect the surface to crumble not the underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back