New Printer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For F-i-L.

All I know is "It's buggered."

It is a Canon MG5350.

He wants me to buy a new one, but the MG5350 is no longer available.

He just wants a machine of similar spec that uses separate ink carts.

Initially, he wanted me to try and find a printer that uses the same carts (525/ 526) but I can't find any of them for sale new.

There seem to be a couple of others for the same price he paid (a ton) for his: a TS5350 and an MG5750, but these don't use the same inks.

I have had a Canon and it was a royal PIA, taking forever to churn over and do the first copy.

Would you go with another Canon or a different brand?

Sponsored Links
Would you go with another Canon or a different brand?

I have a Canon MP610 - best printer I've ever used (apart from the Laser printer owned by last employer). Wonderful photo printer let alone plain paper printer. Sad to say it probably will have to be replaced as the cartridges are getting both difficult to find and very expensive.

Would I buy another Canon, don't know. Had an Epson that lasted the life of 2 cartridges. Also had a Dell printer, dirt cheap but the cartridges were/are dearer than the printer!

We have an A3 colour Cannon, which we swicthed to after the last HP packed up. I've always been an HP printer fan right since my first laser printer that I bought as a student (£800). You are right that the cannons seem to take a while before they spit anything out. Even the pricier models are no faster

What sort of features does he want?

these days HP, Canon and Epsom are all pretty good.

the biggest problem with printers nowadays seems to be printer driver issues (esp windows 10) and cost of replacement ink.

Sponsored Links
these days HP, Canon and Epsom are all pretty good.

the biggest problem with printers nowadays seems to be printer driver issues (esp windows 10) and cost of replacement ink.

Is that when you fancy horsing around? :D psst it's Epson.

If you're looking at inkjets, be very aware of the pricing models - cheap hardware means expensive ink (razor blade model). Some like HP are pushing towards subscription models and applying updates to their printers to disable 3rd party carts. Epson do an EcoTank range which has a higher upfront cost but they supply 2 years (usual usage caveats) ink with the printer.

These days if you have the space as they're slightly bigger a laser printer is a good choice for occasional usage as they don't dry out like inkjets. Check out Brother's lasers, not too expensive (even the colour ones) and they allow third party toner.

For photos it's easy and cheap to have them done via internet places and have them posted to you.

Thanks, guys!

He wants one that does the stuff his old one does.

Know about Brother Lasers. I have one!

Back