New rates for car tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oooo Gordon Brown is messing about with car tax. If you have the cleanest car available the tax is free. And it goes up on what appears to be several levels to I think he said £210 for new gas guzzlers.
Wonder what a tranny van is gonna be.

Sponsored Links
also:

He froze duty on petrol and rejected Tory calls for the climate change levy to be scrapped.

He froze duty on spirits but put 9p on 20 cigarettes, 4p on a bottle of wine and 1p on a pint of beer.

Personal tax allowance will go up from £4,895 to £5,035. Child benefit will be increased on 10 April to £17.45.

...over five years, and allowing for inflation, investment per state school pupil would rise from the current £5,000 to the current private school spend of £8,000 per pupil.

The largest secondary schools with the greatest needs will receive £365,000 from next week rising to £500,000 next April.

He capped top civil servants' pay rises to 2.25% - saying it meant more for frontline staff such as nurses.

He also announced more money to train British sporting hopefuls ahead of the 2012 Olympics, which he said would be a "proud moment for London and the whole of Britain".

And there will be help for pensioners and low income families to insulate their homes and a new fund to help encourage "micro generation technologies" - thought to mean things such as solar panels on roofs.

He also said 3,000 science teachers would be recruited and funding provided for after-school science clubs in 250 schools.

gcol said:
£210 for new gas guzzlers.
Doesn't apply to non new cars? I thought it was gonna be based on emissions rather than fuel usage (not always directly related). Either way, I'm sure I'll be paying top whack :(

Also, when a cars MOT is done, is the rate of tax payable based on the emissions registered when the car is tested, or just the quoted figure?

Sponsored Links
YIPEEi will be getting mine for nothing fellow tax payer,s keep up the good work ..............

Eddie M said:
gcol said:
£210 for new gas guzzlers.
Doesn't apply to non new cars? I thought it was gonna be based on emissions rather than fuel usage (not always directly related). Either way, I'm sure I'll be paying top whack :(
From what I understood when watching it on TV earlier - I'm sure he said that there's gonna be the higher level of £210 for new gas guzzlers. I think it's to discourage the sales of new inefficient cars. My understanding is that existing gas guzzlers will be slightly cheaper to tax than new ones.
As always, I stand to be corrected. :D

What a joke!

Brown's just brought in a new 'zero rated' road tax band for enviromentally friendly cars...

But according to the department responsible for the new 'categories', there are only 2 cars listed in this 'zero rated' one..!

And Both are unavailable in the UK!... :LOL:

PM material??

They said earlier "cigarettes will go up as of tomorrow" words to that effect. How can they? The company i work for issues stores with price changes about 5 days before they apply, there's no way around it. Or are they referring to the wholesale price? Because there is no way on earth that every shop in the UK will be able to put its prices up as of tomorrow morning 7am sharp! :eek:

crafty1289 said:
They said earlier "cigarettes will go up as of tomorrow" words to that effect. How can they? The company i work for issues stores with price changes about 5 days before they apply, there's no way around it. Or are they referring to the wholesale price? Because there is no way on earth that every shop in the UK will be able to put its prices up as of tomorrow morning 7am sharp! :eek:

I think you'll find a lot of shopkeepers find it very easy to put their prices up.

JohnD
aye the cheeky robbin b*stards ...
hmm crafty ..lol

gcol

that wont be hard .. to correct you ,lol :)

Its no good keep moaning about tax rises, someone has to pay for my new car, plus road tax, holidays, rent etc..........

ellal said:
What a joke!

Brown's just brought in a new 'zero rated' road tax band for enviromentally friendly cars...

But according to the department responsible for the new 'categories', there are only 2 cars listed in this 'zero rated' one..!

And Both are unavailable in the UK!... :LOL:

PM material??
now there's a market for them over here i'm sure we'll see many manufacturers making them available to the uk.

Sponsored Links
Back