new stud wall with wide doorway...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm going to be putting up a stud wall with a big enough for 2 pairs of 600mm french door from wickes.

the width of the whole wall will be 3.6m and the opening will be 2.4m

this leaves just 0.6m of wall on each side.

after doing a bit of searching, i think i'll be going for 2x4 timber.

does this sound right? I'm not sure if it should be PSE or not.
I'll be using 12.5mm plasterboard, so i guess i'mm looking at 5 inch wide doorframe.

I'd be gratefull if anyone can point out any problems, or better suggestions...

many thanks

PS - no skimming, just tape and filler on the joints if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
I forgot to mention...

what screws should i be using to fix to a concrete floor?
would i use the same screws to fix it to the ceiling/joists?

thanks

CLS timber is straight and cheap, and ideal for studwork.

Double up the timber at the door jambs and head, and don't forget the extra horizontal studs at floor height to fix the skirting to.

Screw the boards on at 120mm spacing for strength

You only need 35 - 50 mm fixing into the floor, so select the screw on this basis. Same for ceiling. Nr 10's or 12's will do, normal wood screws

try and assess the condition of the concrete floor, if it's thin and /or cracked in parts i'd forget drilling/screwing into it and use a polymer glue.

also u may need the flex if you forget to acclimatise the timber!

b.

Sponsored Links
cheers guys

you've made some good points which i hadn't thought of like the timber acclimatisation and skirting, but i reckon i'll just use adhesive to fix those on as it took forever the last time i did it with plugs & screws.

sorry to be a bit dense, but are the jambs the sides of the doorway?
Does CLS timber come in a standard size? Would 75mm be best? giving apprx 4 inches in total when adding the plasterboard thickness so that way i can get some 4inch pine for the doorframe...

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back