new to gas work

R

rabeye34

hi i have just finished my ccn1 and four appliances i am new to the industry and am starting my new business in gas work. anyone out there with any ideas where i should start in this field

Sponsored Links
hi i have just finished my ccn1 and four appliances i am new to the industry and am starting my new business in gas work. anyone out there with any ideas where i should start in this field

tesco are looking for shelf stackers on £7.50 per hour

How big a field is it and what are you doing out in it at this time of night in the rain

glasgowgas";p="1286156 said:

tesco are looking for shelf stackers on £7.50 per hour[/quote

get us a job then

Sponsored Links

rabeye34";p="1286162 said:

tesco are looking for shelf stackers on £7.50 per hour[/quote

get us a job then

contact your local tesco see customer services bobs yer auntie

Probably best to start with getting some experience, a portfolio and a GSR card.

i would respectfully suggest you try to get a job working for a large firm doing service work first to get your eye in with all the bits and pieces you will need to do every day to keep yourself right, tightness test, flue flow, spillage, flues, vents, clearances, NCS, AR, ID.
starting out on your own is not the way to go with your minimal experience you will not have enough experience behind you to make it in these cut throat times.
i used to manage 35 engineers and we had 7 guys work with us on placement while they did a one year full time course on gas, when they were with us building up experience i would hear them talking to our guys saying why don't they work for themselves rather than a big company and once they were qualified they would be out there earning a fortune for themselves, 2 left to set up on their own after 2-3 months and came back crying for a job as they couldn't make any money as they spent most of their time trying to sort jobs between them, when they worked for us they were encouraged to double up to build up experience and spent a lot of the time on the works mobile phoning around for advise different story when they had to pay for all the down time and mobile bills themselves, that was about 6-7 years ago and all the others are still there and only now starting to think about "nearly" being ready to break out on their own but they know now is not the time

Thanks for your advice. however i am going to try on my own for the first six months see how it goes. Do big companys take on new people like myself with so little experience?

As a newbie, your ACS should be seen as a Provisional Licence, You would well advised to do at least 10 years with a reputable Gas Company, I can assure you as a self employed, you will struggle and its a very lonley place to be untill you have forged friendships in the industry,

I had 25 years of Oil & Gas Service Experience as an Employee before I started my own company, and I am very glad I did

I wish you the very best of luck in a difficult world :)

Dont want to burst your bubble,"BUT".
If you have no experience you wont last long on your own, you'll have no custard base at the moment, you will be too slow for the builders and you will stand out like a coblers thumb when attempting a repair on most systems.

Sorry, its a downer at the moment, but chaps like yourself are 20 a penny out there now. Give Sure maintenance a try, or Mono. They take on the unexperienced and train them up. :eek:

Best of luck, but, your 5 years plus away from being successfully selfemployed :cry:

;)

PS, Stay off my patch :evil:

is there any positive thinkers out there that have gone out there and tried on there own as a gas engineer self employed? am i just speaking to the old boys that have been in the business for 25 years plus?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back