Newbie query: Hidden gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I was preparing the living room recess at the side of the chimney breast for soundproofing, attaching battens to the wall when I discovered that I had drilled into a gas pipe, (feeding the gas fire), hidden low down in the wall, above the skirting board, but under the plaster. The emergency gas man told me this was an unusual place to locate it.... Step 1 is obviously to get someone to repair the pipe. But step 2? Can I just attach the soundproofing materials and plasterboard over the pipe or will I need to bring the pipe out of the wall completely?

Sponsored Links
there are defined pipe routes for gas pipes in walls (to avoid this sort of thing ;) ) is your fire a DFE or ILFE which allow a bit of pipe to go into the wall to get to the fire inlet as these types of fires are built into the wall, a free standing fire should not have the pipe inside the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back