newbie trying to improving slatted bed support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
our king size bed has horizontal wooden slats which are spaced quite a bit of distance apart. there is no support in middle.

our mattress has pocket springs and due to the gap between slats the spring slightly "fall down" the gap and so the mattress doesnt give enough support.

so i was thinking of improving this. options are

1- add 3/4 more slats to reduce distance between slats
2- add middle supports
3- add a wooden sheet spanning full bed on top of the existing slats.
4- mixture of 1 and 2 above

questions are

1- do i need to pre drill any of the woods or do i just drive the screw in?
2- any of the above or any other recommendations?
3- if i add middle supports do i need a slat to run length ways to connect all slats togather rather than just adding legs to the bottom!
4- if i add a length ways slat then does it go above existing slats or below?
5- if i add a wooden sheet then what thickness and material?

thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Depends on dimension of slats if they bow then best to replace, if it's just a lack of support additional slats would help [did this to my bed and fixed problem]. A single sheet over the slats would work except at king size you are unlikely to find a single sheet to cover it.Two could be used but would work best running across the bed not head to toe.Thin sheet ply would suffice as weight is evenly spread by mattress.

Just more slats, if they are thick enough [at least 35mm] they should not need support.

Sponsored Links
Forget the slats, lay a piece of ply/blockboard on top. The mattress needs full support, will make for a former bed, stop squeaks

If the slats themselves sag, putting a vertical strip under most of the length of each will greatly reinforce them, such that the cross section of the composite looks like a T.

If the slats themselves sag, putting a vertical strip under most of the length of each will greatly reinforce them, such that the cross section of the composite looks like a T.

sorry but just to confirm that did you mean just a vertical strip or a vertical strip with additonal supports to floor!

You make the horizontal strips into T cross sections with vertical members that go almost the whole span. No floor contact. Two or three screws per slat should do it.

It has to do with the strength of material in the shape of a slat.
Doubling the width of a horizontal slat doubles the strength
but
if you stand it on edge, doubling the height triples the strength.
The composite becomes like the top half of an I beam.

Try it.
Support a slat at both ends, load it with a concentrated or distributed load and note the deflection. Then reinforce it as described and repeat.

when i make double beds the slats are 4x1"planed [21x96mm] with a 2-3" gap

first slat at each end attached to the end
if there are boxes underneath theres a bit off 2x1 full length flat to support the middle

if they have legs there is 2 bits off 2x1" central 44mm apart full length supporting all slats together with a 2x2" leg at 1/3 and 2/3 screwed between the batons

When I has this problem with an IKEA bed I got the strongest, hardest & stiffest wood from the lumberyard and cut a few extra strips.
I didn't bother attaching them to the two cloth strips that held the other slats together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back