Nice if you can get it.

If you're paid hourly, it makes sense, because breaks are unpaid so why work through them. If you're self employed / pricework etc then it's your call I guess.

Sponsored Links
A lot of firms do not pay their staff for a lunch break if it is 30,45 or 60mins so anyone working their lunch break is working for nothing, also it is a legal requirement to have a break after a set period.. I think it is 5 hrs but could be wrong .. if you are self employed it is up to you I suppose

Talking to a director of a automotive company yesterday, and the gulf between private and public.
He was telling me about his sister, who is a chief exec of a local authority.
She was telling him how they'd recently spent £100K on a three day "team-building and motivational workshop", including some thousands on a motivational speaker.
"How do you motivate your team then?" she asked him.
"I get the coffees," he replied, "and if I really want to motivate them, I get biscuits too."
Different universes, not even different worlds.

Local councils are forever bleating about how their government funding has been cut, yet they're not allowed to increase 'our contributions', and they cannot afford to provide all of the essential services they are legally obliged to.

Then they happily waste money like this.

As a public employee I feel duty bound to defend my fellow comrades. Naturally I shan't be doing this during my free time, so shall do so when I get back to the office on Monday, after having set up several committees and strategic working groups to determine possible outcomes :mrgreen:

Remember to take all breaks to which you are entitled :mrgreen:

When I was an underworked and overpaid teacher (on a zero-hours contract), I never once had a lunch break. The nearest thing to it was when I went to the canteen to buy a sandwich, then the staff room to make a cup of tea, and then back to my desk to do all the 'essential' paperwork.

My wife, a university lecturer, does the same.

Sponsored Links
My mate told me the same. Ordered by his manager to always take all breaks, in full.
I can see the logic to a degree - their union has fought for the break, so it would water down their arguments if breaks were seen as optional.

Well, in his instances, he's actually saved the council quite a bit of money in vehicle use, less disruption to council tenants (some , who have taken a day off work, or failed to sign on :LOL: :LOL: ) Council's are full of bloody jobsworths though and don't want to actually save money. He was telling me that in January each year, he's always asked if he needs any new tools (always expensive ones) as they have to spend all of their budget by the tax year end. ;)

Back