Nicola Bulley

Status
Not open for further replies.
This area is near where Mrs Secure's folks have a static. I know it fairly well; when the boys were younger, we would take them to St Michael's where they would hold a Summer Fair.

The Wyre runs through St M's past their caravan site and under the Shard bridge into the estuary. Shortly after the Shard bridge on the left (as you follow the river) is Skippool Creek car park, which the police had closed off, along with a footpath. They were gathering evidence in bags, although they said it was unrelated to the missing Mum. The police were also looking into an abandoned car there.

Very early on, I thought she may have gone into the river after the dog.

The early timeline suggested there could be nearly an hour between the sighting of the dog with her and the dog alone. That has since shortened, but if the dog had gone in the water and got out, how quickly would it dry off?

There have been many cases in the past where humans have followed dogs into bodies of water to try and save them only to die and the dog finds its way out.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm. Maybe the activity in the car park is related but they just keeping it tight ?

If you look at the bank where the said bench is, you can see the river bank has had cut outs put into it by man, probably to make it a little bit safer. Yes the steps are still mud but a lesser chance to slip than a steeper bank.

It

Nearly ten years ago on a crisp winters day we were out with a walking group on the kennet and avon canal, a runner in front of us fell in the canal, just put her foot on some grass and slipped sideways. We all laughed when she went in, we stopped laughing and started panicking as she went silent immediately...like straight away no thrashing no help help just in big splash and then silence.

Luckily for her it only took her being dragged out and as we did water drained out of her lungs and she started breathing all on her own...we were having a right old panic and were all trying desperately to remember what to do, so were really grateful that she sorted herself out

The two things that really really hit home was the speed at which she drowned, in bang, gone and the very small lump she made in the water. We were perhaps 80m behind her and by the time we got to her just the hump of her back poking up through the water just visible as she was dressed in black lycra which blended in with the water, if it had been a flowing river we could easily lost sight of her.

Sponsored Links
If it's all played out roughly as suggested by the authorities, it's a tragic case, even more so when the dog in question survives i.e. action's in vain. PLEASE don't start on me about the bond between owners and their pets, I fully understand all that. My basic point is such cases are tragic and that bit more tragic when the animal in question survives but the owner doesn't.

I understand the dog was a Spaniel. I wouldn't have thought anyone would need to go into the water to help one of them.

Water temperature would have been around 12 degrees max. It would have felt like needles going in to your skin. Its extremely painful

I slipped on a 1m slope behind a bus stop and it's thought the whiplash caused me to be knocked out.
Mate thought I was messing about.
I slid down to the button on my back.
Never had any sighs of bump on head and out cold for a few minutes. I was paralyzed when I came around for a bit then it all came back. I went home and recovered. Good job there was no River.
Re missing.
Oddly, people do go missing near water without trace.
Maybe they slipped moving forward to grab dog or had a medical problem and stumbled in the water dazed.
Phone on bench means it was put down to sort something quickly which may have gone wrong.

I hope she turns up somewhere ok. It's been keeping me awake thinking about it.
Had she moved away wouldn't the dog follow? especially mum.
It's a terrible event.

I understand the dog was a Spaniel. I wouldn't have thought anyone would need to go into the water to help one of them.
The time referred to earlier when I went in after 2 spaniels was because the two spaniels concerned were at the time, the oldest and the youngest of the group. The older one was barely buoyant and the young pup had a habit of jumping in on top of it or climbing on its back when the older one was in the water. It would go completely under and it seemed to always take forever for it to bob up to the surface. I thought the pup had drowned it and then got into difficulty in the reeds so in I went!

The time referred to earlier when I went in after 2 spaniels was because the two spaniels concerned were at the time, the oldest and the youngest of the group. The older one was barely buoyant and the young pup had a habit of jumping in on top of it or climbing on its back when the older one was in the water. It would go completely under and it seemed to always take forever for it to bob up to the surface. I thought the pup had drowned it and then got into difficulty in the reeds so in I went!
I missed that post.
They are usually so confident in water that they are in before you can stop them.

Temperatures for Stoney Cove.

Notice how it's coldest in March, takes a couple of months for such a large body of water to cool down.

You certainly know it when you jump in.

Stoney Cove Temperatures - Surface, 7m, 22m and 36m shelves
MonthSurface (°C)7m (°C)22m (°C)36m (°C)
January6
February54
March466
April777
May998
June1213109
July141010
August181714
September1716
October12
November911
December7

Temperatures for Stoney Cove.

Notice how it's coldest in March, takes a couple of months for such a large body of water to cool down.

You certainly know it when you jump in.

Stoney Cove Temperatures - Surface, 7m, 22m and 36m shelves
MonthSurface (°C)7m (°C)22m (°C)36m (°C)
January6
February54
March466
April777
May998
June1213109
July141010
August181714
September1716
October12
November911
December7

I go in with a wetsuit and neoprene hat, and below about 9 degrees, cannot bring myself to put my face in. Just "holiday breaststroke", and lots of huffing and swearing.

Yet there are always groups of wimmin - and they're always called "The Blue Tits", for reasons that I can't fathom ;):LOL: - who just wander in wearing only a cozzie and a bobble hat, without a care in the world :unsure:

And I think that I must be mad to do it...............

Question.

Why not get someone to dress in same clothes and jump in at same spot at same time?
Tied to rope for safety.

What you wear can drag you under.
Was taught to remove things like boots (wellies in my case) and coat if I was to fall in water as they fill with water dragging you down.

How would that help? You'd nevr ever repeat the identical conditions at the time, even if they were known. Presmably they've dived a fair stretch by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back