No 3kw electric fires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the Redway electric fire and it is really stunning in terms of the realism of the fire, especially because the water burning produces vapour giving it extra realism. But even without the vapour, the flames looks extremely relaistic.

But the downside is that it, like every other electric fire it seems, only produces 2kw of heat. Given that it is essentially an electric heater, I am extremely surprised where the safety issue is that stops manufactureres from putting in 3kw heaters. Both my electric heaters are 3kw, so it is very disappointing electric fires go up to 2kw.

3kw would have been perfect for my living room because it is around 16/17 feet by 12 feet. I am not totally convinced it will heat up my room to a cosy level during harsh British autumns and winters. Whenever I use the electric fire, I don't want to use central heating at the same time. The 3kw heaters are actiually sufficient and I don't usually even have to close the living room door, but am not sure 2kw electric fire will be even with door closed.

Sponsored Links
Do you have rad(s) in your living room that are capable of heating the room? Better to use the ch, because elec. is 3 or 4 times more expensive per kw than gas. Turn off all other rads, and just have the boiler heating the rad(s) in the living room.

If the rad(s) in living room are under sized, would pay you to change for larger ones. Using electricity to heat a room is very inefficient.

Using electricity to heat a room is very inefficient.

Actually using electricity is 100% efficient!

Its just very expensive compared with using gas!

Tony

When you consider the losses involved in generation and distribution of electricity it is far more efficient to pipe the gas to your house and get the heat energy out of it by burning it there. Burning gas to generate electricity at a power station is very inefficient, future generations will wonder how we could squander that resource in such a way.

Sponsored Links
I have read your OP and there is something about it that makes me think you were 'on something'. Like may be the 'vapour' coming from your main fire is inducing some soporific feeling in you.

Using electricity to heat a room is very inefficient.

Actually using electricity is 100% efficient!

Its just very expensive compared with using gas!

Tony

Tony
Perhaps I used the wrong word. I meant that using elec isn't cost effective.

RE. Vapour from elec fire. Never encountered this - probably because I dislike elec fires. The main drawback with elec fires is that they provide a very dry heat. Presumably, this water vapour addresses this problem?

RE. Vapour from elec fire. Never encountered this - probably because I dislike elec fires. The main drawback with elec fires is that they provide a very dry heat. Presumably, this water vapour addresses this problem?
I couldn't get on with electric fire or heater, I find they make the air very dry, causing me with dry throats and sore eyes, they got that sort of burning musky smell

Burning gas to generate electricity at a power station is very inefficient, future generations will wonder how we could squander that resource in such a way.

Gas power stations are the quickest to fire up (if there is an energy spike demand), and how much of that electricity is used for other than heating.

How many people don't live near gas mains, or live in a flat (Sod off would I ever live in flat complex that had gas).

, or live in a flat (s** off would I ever live in flat complex that had gas).

Yes, can go badly wrong!

RP3.jpg
photo_ronanpoint_programmers4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back