No central heating

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What other information can I provide that might help with members providing guidance? Is there anything? I am willing and happy to follow instructions, as I have to this point. Just need someone who is confident in their advice and doesn't then get ridiculed by other members...

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, otherwise I would not have raised the question, but I'm eager to give it a go and it seems like it's all very low risk to me.

Well...

The boiler is making regular noises. The LCD display says "normal boiler operation". I get hot water. I see the burner light up. As to the specific question about the pump... I'm not sure, but I assume so??? Can I check?

There shouldn't be a fault with the boiler (I hope). It's new. It was working fine before radiator removal. I think (I hope) I just went about putting it (the system) back together in the wrong way / order.

Handyman was back last night but he can't get to me until next week so we had a chat on the phone. The most curious part was that he said he'd not altered the position of any of the valve levers under the boiler! So, unless I did in some kind of dream (I most certainly did not!), this is spooking me a little bit. I told him I'd definitely moved one of the blue ones, when taking my first look at it, to get hot water and both black ones to try and get central heating... so maybe I should move them back?!?! He suggested I move them to a 45 degree angle if I'm not 100% sure whether they're open or closed (I think I am sure from the comments above) and "at least I'll be getting some flow, which is better than none". He also suggested I close all the other radiators (at both ends) apart from either the closest radiator or the bathroom to try and remove any air lock. He also suggested I could partially drain the system with the valve in the cellar as that might "get things moving".

All seems a bit hit-and-miss, he seemed to be saying air locks can be a challenge to eliminate, but I'll certainly give these ideas a shot too... I have the weekend, I suppose.

Last time I had this exact fault on this exact boiler someone had tried topping up the pressure and turned off the flow/return valve instead.

It's either that or the diverter valve has failed in the hot water position.

An airlock would have cleared itself by just running it on heating for a while. The chances of air-locking an ENTIRE SYSTEM are slim to none.

Heating valves look open, but check they feel like they're moving something when you turn them. It's not unknown for the plastic lever insides to round off, the handle turns but the valve doesn't.
You're getting hot water, so the pump is not full of air, so it should pump something. The fact that the outlet (Flow) pipe gets hot for only a short distance indicates very low or no heating flow.
Possibilities are that there is another valve on the heating system which is shut. Do you have a system filter fitted, sometimes called a Magnaclean, or Fernox TF1? If fitted it will usually be connected before the boiler (so joined to the RHS pipe near the boiler. They are about the size of a pump, and usually have 1/4 turn isolating valves either side. Check both of these are open too.
MM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back