No central heating

Sponsored Links
In any case it was not an actual boiler fault as such.

It was solely caused by inappropriate actions related to doing something to a radiator.

Tony

I don't think you would have fixed it all by yourself without our advice on what to look for.

Granted, but I wouldn't want you, or others, to be claiming any 'assist' here... :notworthy: The spot-on advice of "It's not unknown for the plastic lever insides to round off, the handle turns but the valve doesn't." ...came from 1 person only. Everyone else was just shooting in the dark and arguing among themselves to be fair. Let's judge it like it was... as far as PD goes it was all kinda amateur and a bit 'Keystone Cops' until MeldrewsMate piped-up with that gem.

Credit where credit is due - St0rmer66 also said it probably wasn't an airlock, but didn't elaborate further on what it might be.

We are not at your property and have to rely solely on what you decide to tell us.

Any of us at your property would quickly have discovered the knob was not turning the shaft. It is a very common problem unfortunately as a result of lesser quality plastic knobs.

An experienced person would usually have "felt" that the knob was turning on the shaft when operating it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Again, granted - MeldrewsMate did it without being at the property, with the information I'd provided.

You guys are way too serious... and somehow you're seemingly offended because I'd asked for help and someone else provided it, whereas any advice you provided would've had me running around in circles. What's wrong with you? Just because you're not any good doesn't mean the forum isn't any good... I get lots of good advice from here, in many sub-forums. Comments I made about taking the exam were just a joke, right? I have no interest in becoming a central heating engineer.

ye childs play it took 3-5 days sort out:LOL:

Right. With just an hour spent on it here and there... I was living my life at the same time, y'know? I'm not even living at the property and I don't care if the heating is off in April. You're weird.

Several people suggested several things.

If it was a school exam and everyone had to list the possible cause then everyone would have listed the knob as one possible cause.

If the pump was turning then there will either be an airlock, a blockage or a closed valve.

It just happened that MM was the one to point it out as one of the things which it could have been. But your evidence was that no one had turned them anyway so your evidence indicated it could not have been the cause.

But your evidence turns out to have been false as the valves had been closed. The fault was caused on trying to open them. An RGI would have been doing that carefully being aware that knobs often fail like that.

Tony

Yup. Several people suggested several things.

MM suggested the correct thing. On the other hand, you'd suggested that I mess around with the radiators at 23:00. :rolleyes:

Bit sad that you're now blaming the [lay]person requesting help because you couldn't help. Oh well, I guess there's always blame somewhere. I guess you can always claim you'd've known what to do... if the circumstances were different, right? Not that I care, the problem is resolved... and I don't want to help you reach 60,000 posts, so I'll leave you to it. I bet you can't resist coming back, though...

You guys are way too serious... and somehow you're seemingly offended because I'd asked for help and someone else provided it, whereas any advice you provided would've had me running around in circles. What's wrong with you? Just because you're not any good doesn't mean the forum isn't any good... I get lots of good advice from here, in many sub-forums. Comments I made about taking the exam were just a joke, right? I have no interest in becoming a central heating engineer.

i was only having a laugh , weird , yeh maybe :LOL:

Glad to hear you got your CH working DPM. Sometimes it can be the simplest things.

Can I ask, you emptied and removed 2 rads, one being the largest? If so, how many rads does the system have and have you re dosed the system with inhibitor? You may find that removing those rads and refitting/filling that the concentration may now be below nominal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back