No central heating

Sponsored Links
Heating valves look open, but check they feel like they're moving something when you turn them. It's not unknown for the plastic lever insides to round off, the handle turns but the valve doesn't.

Hello, it was exactly this!

I now have heating. I saw that the screw head wasn't rotating when I altered the position of the CH outlet valve, it seemed to do this on the CH return. So I unscrewed it and took off the black plastic lever (culprit below) and turned the valve with a spanner - 60 seconds later the closest radiator started to warm up. I am very grateful for the advice received, I had the Handyman all set up to come back and now I don't need him.

37csvalve.jpg

Just to close this off, everything is working normally again. I had to 'balance' the system again as I'd set all valves fully open, so I'm not sure if it is exactly like before (as I didn't bother remembering their position) but every radiator gets hot.

Just need to purchase a black plastic dooberywotsit (no idea) from somewhere... maybe I'll try BHS tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Handyman was back last night but he can't get to me until next week so we had a chat on the phone. The most curious part was that he said he'd not altered the position of any of the valve levers under the boiler! So, unless I did in some kind of dream (I most certainly did not!), this is spooking me a little bit.

So who did close it in the beginning? Handyman telling lies? Or you in a dream?

Because clearly someone did close the valves.

When "reopened" the knob turned but not the valve!

Its odd, valves under boilers seem to be made of a very soft plastic which often deforms and turns on the shaft.

But washing machine valve knobs seem to be a harder plastic and don't seem to deform so often. Sometimes they can fit on the boiler valve shafts.

Or just leave the bare shaft and keep a small adjustable spanner handy.

Tony

i find the some valiant ones do it as well ( new and old ) very annoying

The grey Vaillant valves are some of the softest.

As its such a common failure point I can only conclude that its intentional to make additional income from selling spare parts.

Local Parts Center told me that every morning they sell the equivalent of a whole Ecotec in spare parts.

Local Parts Center told me that every morning they sell the equivalent of a whole Ecotec in spare parts.
Which branch would that be. I need parts for an Ecotec so going to said branch will be prudent(y)

Last edited:
So who did close it in the beginning? Handyman telling lies? Or you in a dream?

I've already answered that?

I said - "So, unless I did in some kind of dream (I most certainly did not!)..." - but that is inconsequential anyway. What matters is getting a new plastic thingummy. Hard to buy one when you don't even know what it's called. "boiler valve lever" would be a good bet, but, seems no.

we would love to dream , i wish all iso's have metal handles , when you have to buy the vaillant iso's then you would complain , i think last time i brought one valiant iso it was about £ 80 - £ 90:eek: . i think the iso for this boiler was about £30 don't quote me on that

See? I'm just coming into this gig and I'm already coming up with good value-add ideas.

And I've fixed the central heating 'all by myself'... it seems quite an easy lark. Maybe I should "get qualified"! :rolleyes:

I don't think you would have fixed it all by yourself without our advice on what to look for.

Told what to do a monkey could fix a boiler.

But then it was not actually broken until someone, as yet unidentified, decided to turn the valves off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back