No gas and a combi = no showers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from hot water, they don't have any heating either ....,but there again if they'd kept their coal fires and back boilers they'd have heating and hot water wouldn't they ?

It's a rather silly post, it's not often the gas supply fails but when it does it ain't just no hot water. There again with a combi they never run out of hot water and have to wait for a cylinder to heat up. Pros and cons.

Pros & Cons. Tomost things in life

Sponsored Links
In many cases when it is clear the interruption wil be prolonged people are given electric heaters and / or a single electric hob by the gas supplier. A friend still has the hob she was given. When she tried to return it the gas people told her she could keep it. ( maybe for the next loss of supply incident ? )

Obviously but the pros get highlighted and the cons are not always spoken about. And it can be the boiler has failed and not the gas supply.

I always state the pros and cons. And so will most decent Gas engineers.

And so will most decent Gas engineers.

As people are finding out not all installers of central heating / hot water systems are "decent Gas engineers".

And on many new build estates the "designer" specifies the lowest cost system and that is invariably going to be a combi.

That's only true the first time - every draw after that, the cold water that is coming out is water that was once hot and whose heat has been wasted. ~550 J/C per metre (of 15mm) infact (and that's not including the mass of the copper).

So as not to loose the gist of my point though - this heat is lost whether its system or combi, makes no difference. What is does do though, is blow the concept out the water that "you only heat what you use" thereby negating one of the aledged USPs of the combi set-up. And the smaller quantity someone draws from the DHW of a combi, the worse the problem gets - as the heat exchanger needs heating every time no matter how much is drawn.

Nozzle

No
Your right. But the same can be said of what’s drawn off a hot water cylinder

Combos are not the perfect solution to all. But sometimes they as the best if not a perfect option.

Many a time I’ve said to a customer who does have room. Fit an unvented cylinder with a secondary return. Most time they say no due to the cost.

Sponsored Links
As people are finding out not all installers of central heating / hot water systems are "decent Gas engineers".

And on many new build estates the "designer" specifies the lowest cost system and that is invariably going to be a combi.

Your spot on. I’m going to do a post on how bad our building industry is and designers are a big part of the problem

And if they specified the more expensive options for things, then no-one whould be able to afford to buy the place.

The point was that there was no gas .....so no hot water and no heating.

If the electicity supply had gone off ...no hot water and no heating with either dhw cylinder or combi !....... Except if they had an multipoint they'd have had hot water !!!!!

So the best ever advice is fit a multipoint and combi with a tank and a wood burner with a back boiler ........oh hang on what if the water goes off ?????????

The point was that there was no gas .....so no hot water and no heating.

If the electicity supply had gone off ...no hot water and no heating with either dhw cylinder or combi !....... Except if they had an multipoint they'd have had hot water !!!!!

So the best ever advice is fit a multipoint and combi with a tank and a wood burner with a back boiler ........oh hang on what if the water goes off ?????????

I have all the above as a just in case. Today I’m digging down and building a well.

if custard wants a combi I advice they get an electric shower at some point, so at least they can get a wash if boiler packs up. combis were for flats that could not get a good head of water and limited space.
the reason its gone combi mad, is a lot of new installers cannot do any other systems, they are technically challenged, so combis in , simple for them.

heat only, open vented,copper cylinder,y plan, is best system, most reliable.

A friend still has the hob she was given. When she tried to return it the gas people told her she could keep it. ( maybe for the next loss of supply incident ? )
it's cheaper for them to give them away than it is to have them collected and tested for further use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back