No lintel above garage doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my wooden garage doors and thought I'd replace the frame at the same time. However looking at them I'm wondering if there is a lintel or is there reliance on the wooden frame.

The house was built in 1935 and originally above the garage there was a non full height storage room. At some time in the past (think it was the 60's) a previous owner had the room built up in height so it could be used as a bedroom. The floor of this room is concrete strips, these also form the garage ceiling.

So I am wondering if the garage is bound to have a lintel or could builders have relied on the substantial wooden frame? I am trying to avoid knocking off some of the rendering to look!

Thanks

View from outside & inside garage
IMG_4086[1].JPG

IMG_4087[1].JPG

Sponsored Links
that 4x3 wouldnt hold jack
looks like a bison or similar cast floor so something must be holding it up as load point above doors as you say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back