No Magnaclean

• Thread starter Deleted member 15266
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15266

My annoyance at having sludge in my system 7 years after BG did powerflush has been made worse by reading the paperwork and finding they should have installed a Magnaclean filter but it’s nowhere to be found. Presumably I wouldn’t in this position if they had.

Sponsored Links
Used to be a lifetime gtee on power flush have you got your paperwork,But havi read your previous posts it looks like others have been working on it so may be void.worth checking

Last edited:
Magnacleans don't prevent sludge, they just work to capture sludge already present. If it has been properly powerflushed and treated, sludge shouldn't form

When I had a new boiler installed nearly 8 years ago the pipework was flushed and a Spirotech MB3 was installed. The filter is cleaned every year at the boiler service and there is only ever a minute amount of debris in it.

Sponsored Links
My annoyance at having sludge in my system 7 years after BG did powerflush has been made worse by reading the paperwork and finding they should have installed a Magnaclean filter but it’s nowhere to be found. Presumably I wouldn’t in this position if they had.

They are a device of last resort, only intended to capture what a powerflush and proper prevention misses. If you again have sludge in your system, it suggests no chemicals have been added or added regularly to avoid sludge.

It doesn't excuse them not installing a filter, if they were contracted to do so. Maybe show them the receipt and ask them where it is?

Stupidly I only cancelled my Homecare agreement with them last year after about 20 years as they kept cancelling the annual service so now the ‘lifetime’ guarantee will be void

My 91 year mother-in-law had a new British Gas sold boiler installed in August. The work was carried out by one of their contractors who kept the Magnaclean that was meant to have been part of the installation. Shocking job that was a Combi conversation that was completed in a day. A look in the loft found sections of insulation lifted and not put back.

My 91 year mother-in-law had a new British Gas sold boiler installed in August. The work was carried out by one of their contractors who kept the Magnaclean that was meant to have been part of the installation. Shocking job that was a Combi conversation that was completed in a day. A look in the loft found sections of insulation lifted and not put back.

Did you make a formal complaint to BG?

My sister-in-law did. A British Gas manager came out, couldn’t find the magnaclean either and so arranged for it to be fitted. BG ended up paying compensation. Think it was around £500. Basically it was fraud in our eyes, as an item was listed and paid for but not supplied as promised. I don’t know what happened to the man who was a long term contractor. His dad came out to help, not even sure his dad was a plumber. The loft space was left in a mess with swaths of insulation moved leaving bare plasterboard on show.

BG ended up paying compensation.

You were lucky. Way back in the 80's, my elderly parents had BG install a gas water heater. The clown of a BG gas fitter used chromed gas pipe and had attempted to solder the chromed pipe into a solder fitting, without cleaning the chrome off at the pipe end. As most people with any practical experience will know, solder will not flow on chrome.

Over several visits I had smelled a slight smell of gas, but assumed it was just the water heater. Luckily, on one occasion I decided to investigate when the smell which seemed especially strong and found the pipe had been knocked partially out of the fitting it was supposed to be soldered in. I didn't need leak detector, I could hear it and called BG out to fix their shoddy, dangerous work.

Once repaired, I played hell with BG over the risk they had caused, but they didn't appear concerned or that interested.

Basically it was fraud in our eyes, as an item was listed and paid for but not supplied as promised.

Fraud in your eyes is the most painful kind of fraud. You should have gone to Specsavers :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back