No oven or hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have have just moved into my house and the old owner has taken the built in oven and hob. As needing somewhere to cook just been down to B&Q and bought a whirlpool oven and hob. Oven is rated at 2.3kw and hob at 5.8 kw.

The cooker switch in feed via 10mm twin and earth about 10m in length to a 40a mcb on the consumer unit. From the cooker control switch more 10mm twin and earth cable goes to the cooker outlet plate. Is it possible to wire the hob and oven into the same outlet plate(oven does not come with a plug) or will i need to get a few other bits and bobs to wire it in.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yeah looks like what i am after, is it ok for the oven to be wired straigh into this or does it need to be fused down?

Should the hob be wired with 6mm or 10 mm?

Sponsored Links
diyguy09 said:
Many thanks for posting the pictures, very helpful. I am able to find the dual socket holder but unable to find the item on the left, is this just a normal cooker outlet? Also is 6mm cable ok from ccu to outlet then to the socket? or would 10mm be better?

Many thanks

you mean the right? the item on the left is a single unswitched socket outlet.
the item on the right is one make of standard cooker connection unit.

since it's supplied in 10mm, then you should use 10mm from the cooker switch to the cooker connection unit, then at least 2.5mm to the single socket outlet... ( trying to get 3x10mm under 1 screw will be a struggle )

I'm getting a bit of deja vu here, Col! ;)

Shouildn't the same csa of cable be used throughout?

There are cooker outlets designed to terminate 3x conductor.

I'm getting a bit of deja vu here, Col! ;)

havent you already asked me that?

Shouildn't the same csa of cable be used throughout?

no because the reduction in CSA satisfies reg 434.2.1 as it's less than 3M from the protection device placed after it ( 13A fuse limits the current on the cable ).

There are cooker outlets designed to terminate 3x conductor.

yes but they are designed for 1 input, and 2 outputs, which is out the bottom of the fitting, not sure you can use one of the ways to wire internal... ..
in fact going by the picture from the link above, definitely not...
View media item 11376 View media item 11377

no because the reduction in CSA satisfies reg 434.2.1 as it's less than 3M from the protection device placed after it ( 13A fuse limits the current on the cable )..

Fair enough, but that's just the first of three conditions stipulated.

yes I know.. but I was trying to make the post shorter...

but if you insist..

tell me then how you think that it does not comply with:-

[code:1](ii) be installed in such a manner as to reduce the risk of fault to a minimum, and
(iii) be installed in such a manner as to reduce to a minimum the risk of fire or danger to persons.[/code:1]

?

OK. That regulation suggests (ii) can be achieved by protecting the wiring against external influences.

And one way of doing that would be to up the csa.

it's entirely inside an enclosure, so is mechanically protected, which is usually the reason for using a larger CSA to protect against damage..

I'm not saying DON'T use 6 - 10mm cable, I'm just saying that you CAN use as low as 2.5mm ( probably 1.5mm actually since it's only 13A ).

Thank you for all your help, managed to get oven and hob all sorted today.

Cheers

it's entirely inside an enclosure, so is mechanically protected, which is usually the reason for using a larger CSA to protect against damage..

I'm not saying DON'T use 6 - 10mm cable, I'm just saying that you CAN use as low as 2.5mm ( probably 1.5mm actually since it's only 13A ).

It's the same as feeding a switchfuse off a busbar chamber ;)

If the supply to the busbar was in 400mm², you wouldn't use 400mm² tails to feed your 6A switchfuse would you? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back