No power.. All mcbs RCD and main breaker dropped...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening... Got a call from my dad,

He has no power at home.

He went to plug in a 240v drill into a socket that has been used for many years.

He described sparks before all power going out.

He put all breakers back up, and the main breaker plus RCD... But no power.

He carefully removed the cover and checked to see if power at busbar and incoming to cu, neither showed power though he used a neon screwdriver (I have the multi meter at my place).

Anything else he can check? I've asked him to call power company (not bill company) to get a call logged.

Seems all neighbours have power (told him to look 3 doors each way and across the road.

Sponsored Links
Probably main fuse blown network operator will replace foc normally within about 4 hours, don't tell them about the maybe dodgy drill or he could get charged. Tell him not to use a neon screwdriver to check for live they are lethal search youtube to see why. Get the drill checked or just replace.

Called them, apparently as the smart meter is lit, its not the main fuse... Call a local electrician...

So not sure what would be next. Going to go over with multimeter in a bit to check if power coming to main breaker. But not holding much hope... So maybe someone hacked the smart meter and turned it off?

Sponsored Links
Is there a switch fuse between the meter and the cu main breaker? If the cu is over 3 mtrs from the meter you would normally expect that to be the case.

Or it's an RCD that needs pushing all the way down to reset, and then back up to re-energise?

Let us know when you find out. It might be interesting. An MCB might trip faster than the cartridge fuse in the plug, but the main fuse would have been much slower.

Maybe a poor connection, just a whisker remaining, finally burned out?

From what he is saying he has pushed them up, RCD is only some of the circuits so if he got that wrong the rest should still come on. There is no breaker between meter and the main breaker in the cu.

And he has pushed the main breaker in the cu up.... Baffled....

Maybe a poor connection, just a whisker remaining, finally burned out?
On a main switch/RCD? I hope not! If it was just the drill/one socket not working then maybe, but no power anywhere suggests RCD/main fuse

From what he is saying he has pushed them up, RCD is only some of the circuits so if he got that wrong the rest should still come on. There is no breaker between meter and the main breaker in the cu.

The 'main breaker' in the CU isn't a breaker, it's just a switch, the only thing that makes that go off is fingers

All breakers are right... Only thing I can think is maybe he left the mains breaker up so incoming is covered, and he only measured outgoing...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-09-18-20-32.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-09-18-20-32.png
    588.8 KB · Views: 142

The 'main breaker' in the CU isn't a breaker, it's just a switch, the only thing that makes that go off is fingers
Apologies!

Not taking the p1ss here but has he just moved into the property and not realised he has a pre-payment meter has he? I've see it before. Apart from that I am baffled!!!

Defo not a prepay... Hes lived in the house 30 years next month... Was changed to a smart meter about 2 years ago... Other then that no changes on meter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back