RCD before CU

• Thread starter ColinJacobson
  • Start date
Yes they can be twisted off.

I am not having a go at you, but your electrical knowledge seems limited. I suggest you read up on the technical side of things. Especially testing. I noticed you don't seem keen answering bans questions regards the tests you've done.

Connecting the earth conductor to a metal fitting is pointless if you haven't tested the circuit. There may be no problem and youmay have made it safer, but it's 50/50. The test shoul be done with the approriate meter, not your customer grabbing a live part.

Sponsored Links
I see no purpose made boxes on the market for this - unlike ceiling roses.

You don't need a purpose-made box. There is no need for a purpose-made box. How else can it be said?

You just use a suitable enclosure, be it a metal or dry-lining box or a surface-mount pattress and use connectors to join together the conductors.

You are showing classic signs of an amateur DIY'er:

You seem to believe it is not possible to do a job without a product specifically designed for that job.

While this is sometimes the case, it is not here.

Think outside the (back) box...

Out of interest, how much did you charge your friend?

Quick sharp you need to go back and check those earth wires, they may have been disconnected as there could have been a fault on them, they may bocome live under some circumstances and you may have left a leathal installation. You need to confirm the r1r2, insulation resistance and polarity when you uncover things like disconected cpc's (earths)

Sponsored Links

I suggest you check out hagers (ashley) new range of sollysta accessories then, the switches come with a neutral loop terminal moulded into the back

Though I'm not sure I'm that keen on the terminals in the sockets and spurs since they decided to go and copy MK and put them all in a line about 12/18 months ago..

Quick sharp you need to go back and check those earth wires, they may have been disconnected as there could have been a fault on them, they may bocome live under some circumstances and you may have left a leathal installation. You need to confirm the r1r2, insulation resistance and polarity when you uncover things like disconected cpc's (earths)

All checked out using a multi-meter.

I suggest you check out hagers (ashley) new range of sollysta accessories then, the switches come with a neutral loop terminal moulded into the back

Though I'm not sure I'm that keen on the terminals in the sockets and spurs since they decided to go and copy MK and put them all in a line about 12/18 months ago..

Thanks.

Page 12 here:
http://download.hager.com/hager.uk/...010/sollysta_wiring_accessories_catalogue.pdf

Domestic lighting circuits have for many years been connected using
the 3 plate method where the loop terminal is at the ceiling rose.

Today it is increasingly
likely that there is a
decorative light fitting or
even downlighters fitted
in place of a standard
pendant. These fittings are
rarely provided with a
neutral loop terminal.
It has also become more
popular to make the loop
connection at the switch.
This has the advantage of
the connections being
accessible and at a more
convenient working
height.

However, this leaves the
problem of terminating the
neutral conductor.
One solution is to connect
the neutral to a connector
block inside the wall box,
which takes up extra
space.

Another is to use the
sollysta light switch which
has a unique neutral loop
terminal.

You don't need a purpose-made box. There is no need for a purpose-made box. How else can it be said?

You just use a suitable enclosure, be it a metal or dry-lining box or a surface-mount pattress and use connectors to join together the conductors.

You are showing classic signs of an amateur DIY'er:

You seem to believe it is not possible to do a job without a product specifically designed for that job.

If something is standardised then products emerge. Read down the thread, I believe a suitable switch is available from Hager. I posted the details.

I never charged.

All checked out using a multi-meter.
Really?

With a multimeter?

What were the values you got for insulation resistance and R1+R2?

I put ban-all-sheds on ignore. It was taken off for a few mins and saw the above post, so I clicked on his link. He is a computer operator. He taps a keyboard all day. It fits.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I put ban-all-sheds on ignore.
Well - you were already doing a pretty good job of ignoring questions I was asking you because you didn't want to make your incompetence even more clear. :LOL:

He is a computer operator. He taps a keyboard all day.
I'm not, and I don't.

Assuming you haven't gone back to ignoring me, can you explain how what I do for a living (whatever it is) affects the validity of my questions or the accuracy of my information?

Or do you intend to add idiotic ad-hominem fallacies to your long litany of flaws, incompetencies, and offences on this forum?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back