RCD before CU

• Thread starter ColinJacobson
  • Start date
I strongly recommend you get yourself copies of the on-site guide and also the electricians guide to building regs.

Both of these books include chapters on testing. I don't own a multimeter, as they are not designed for use by an electrician when testing an installation.

BAS never claims to be working spark, but he has read up enough to give useful info to people on this forum. In your case I would take heed of his advice.

FYI, I am an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Strongly agree with the above! Do yourself a favour and get some decent (and cheap) books. Read John Whitfield, and therafter refer to the OSG. With that and lots of searches on this forum, I successfully completed a notified DIY full rewire including test and inspection myself as part of my renovation. Dont really need the full BS7671 (you'll find it's pretty much typed out on here spread over hundreds of posts if you care to look :)). Put in the same effort and stop littering the forum with naive questions that show you are tackling jobs way before you have a proper understanding of what's involved, and you might get some less hostile responses.

I strongly recommend you get yourself copies of the on-site guide and also the electricians guide to building regs.

Both of these books include chapters on testing. I don't own a multimeter, as they are not designed for use by an electrician when testing an installation.

BAS never claims to be working spark, but he has read up enough to give useful info to people on this forum. In your case I would take heed of his advice.

FYI, I am an electrician.

BAS is on ignore for ever. I do not need his advice. You are a spark and do not own a multi meter?

Sponsored Links
Strongly agree with the above! Do yourself a favour and get some decent (and cheap) books. Read John Whitfield, and therafter refer to the OSG. With that and lots of searches on this forum, I successfully completed a notified DIY full rewire including test and inspection myself as part of my renovation. Dont really need the full BS7671 (you'll find it's pretty much typed out on here spread over hundreds of posts if you care to look :)). Put in the same effort and stop littering the forum with naive questions that show you are tackling jobs way before you have a proper understanding of what's involved, and you might get some less hostile responses.

Thanks. BTW, I know electrics, with an excellent understanding. It is all the regs that confuses the issues. These, those with attitude latch onto trying to make they are cleverer than they are and ruin threads.

The original post was regarding an RCD before the CU, not me successfully rectifying a lighting wiring fault. Some people are helpful and others just have an attitude problem. One gave the name of new switches with an extra terminal for lighting loops via boxes, while other sparks with attitude never knew of them. Others are on ignore and not worth the bother. I tried to put JohnD on ignore but it would not take it, so I assume he is the mod; who provokes newcomers who talk on a thread.

Colin Jac,

I would not like you to take this the wrong way and be offended but,

you are obviously an arrogant little twerp who does not know his amp from his elbow.

You try to tell everybody how competent you are and it is obvious to all you have not got a clue.

You are probably one very dangerous individual when it comes to electrics.

I would not even trust you to clean my windows.

Go and boil your head

BAS is on ignore for ever. I do not need his advice.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif

rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif

rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif

rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif

rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

........You are a spark and do not own a multi meter?

This goes a long way to show how hopelessly out of your depth you are.

I too am a spark and I do not own a multi-meter of the type described for several reasons:

The cheaper multi-meters used by many diyers are to test for some form of continuity and give a voltage rating - though the accuracy might be questioned.
For the work you have conducted, you needed to check for continuity by taking the R1+R2 measurement, insulation resistance test at 500v dc, Polarity check, Ze, Prospective short circuit current, Prospective earth fault current, Zs and if applicable RCD.
You cannot do this with a diy type multi meter - which suggests you haven't done them.
The results obtained are critical in certain areas such as Zs where accuracy is important to ensure safety.
My meter cost nearly £1000 and approx £70 for each calibration check. Its fuctions allow me to properly complete a electirical installation certificate or minor works report - a diy type multi-meter cannot and that is why I don't have one!

By the way when did you get your multi-meter calibrated?

For the work you have conducted, you needed to check for continuity by taking the R1+R2 measurement, insulation resistance test at 500v dc, Polarity check, Ze, Prospective short circuit current, Prospective earth fault current, Zs and if applicable RCD.
He knows all that, but he'd rather decide that people are mad and that such advice is not needed and should be ignored than accept that he is incompetent and completely out of his depth.

I wonder if we've seen the last of him?

He doesn't give the impression of being unintelligent, and if he'd come here and actually accept that people know what they are talking about even when he doesn't want to hear it then I'm sure he'd find the forum of genuine use to him, but as it stands we are all wasting each others time.

And I don't understand how if Admin decided that ColinJacobson should be banned they didn't also ban ColinJac.

He is right about one thing though.

If you try to ignore JohnD he goes on your ignore list but his posts remain visible to you.

Thanks. BTW, I know electrics, with an excellent understanding. It is all the regs that confuses the issues.

Get the frickin OSG then, for heaven's sake :mad: :)

It contains all the stuff you're confused about in easy to digest simple English with nice helpful colour diagrams. Get it - it will stop you being so confused!

I might as well throw my hat in the ring here as well.

I have been a member of this site for a while now. I joined when I was finishing my college course and with the help of the members on this site answering my questions I passed my C&G 2330 with a Distinction average and then went on to Initial inspection & testing and am now studying and getting more experience to do the 2391 course. I don't think that I would have done anywhere near as well without the help of the people here and I have found BAS a great help in interpreting the regulations as well as clarifying them

I purchased my copy of BS7671 in my 1st year of college and it is essential for carrying out work on electrical installations, anyone who argues different is deluding themselves. When caring out electrical work, you have a legal duty of care to ensure that the installation is safe and installed correctly and you are not going to achieve this with a £9.99 Multi Meter from B&Q.

To be honest, I am bored reading the thread on this subject now as it is clear that you are just trying to pick a fight because you don't like the advise that you are being given even though the advise is correct.

Thanks for the news, John.

Shame he couldn't accept what so many people were telling him.

Reminds me of the infantryman marching along and he was the only one in the whole company who was in step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back