No Voltage on Wires in Light Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the earth conductor at switch position is not actually connected back to earth , you may have live conductors ,and false voltage readings. What are you using to measure voltages ?

Sponsored Links
It's a 2 gang switch ,so test voltages in the other gang to earth ,if your meter reads voltages at the other switch ,then you know the earth's good and we can move on.

I have connected wires to each of the 6 terminals with wires in each of them and tested each one with earth, but no reading on any one.

JH

Sponsored Links
this is another site , showing 2 way lighting circuit and wiring diagram of a possible setup
ITS in the OLD colours
http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/tag/2-way-lighting-circuit-diagram/

NEW COLOURS
http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/two-way-switching-3-wire-system-new-harmonised-cable-colours/

JUST applies to 1 gang for 2 way control of 1 light
OTHER GANG may have same wiring

But is that how your lights are wired - some better images may help
The OTHER gang - thats working fine on BOTH the switches - is that correct

Have you thought about putting the OLD light switches back as originally setup and testing

You could check continuity, BUT you need to make sure the wiring is as expected , and isolated

Can you post some more pictures
One one gang - has a Twin & Earth cable - AND - a 3 core & earth cable to the same gang
On the other switch for the gang operatign the same light - JUST 1 3 core & earth cable

Screwed the wire onto the insulation and not onto the copper wire

Last edited:
Sorry ,not with you . You have a two gang ,two way switch.each gang controlling a specific light ,( or bank of lights ) and no voltage on any of the 6 conductors ,were both gangs working previously ?before you changed the sister switch in the other location ?

One of my switches now has the new Smart Switch in there with only 2 wires connected to it.
The Live and Switched Live.

The other switch was working intermittently before I took it off anyway. I thought it was because of stiff buttons but it may have been dead wires all along.

So I'm not sure what to do about it.

JH

The other switch was working intermittently before I took it off anyway
Possibly.

BUT it would be good to go through systematically
Can you put the OLD switch back and wire exactly as original and then Post some images of the switch and the wires coming into the BOX
so we can see if it wired as per the links i posted

It's difficult to do that because there are 3 sleeves coming out of one outlet and I can't remember which wires led to which terminal.
On the non-working outlet, the sleeves are inside the wall so I can't even see which wires come from which sleeve.

However, I have connected my old working switch to the other side which was not working, and still no voltage on any terminal.

JH

are you telling us that the three core and earth cable that has no voltage is not connected at the new smart switch ?

The switch you are testing, might be the switch wire end of the 2-way and the other switch is actually the faulty one. You need to be sure you are checking for voltage between the wires and a neutral or an earth.

You could check earth continuity at the light switch positions by first using a plug-in tester to check a nearby socket is wired OK.

Then run a length of wire from the earth terminal (connected to a plug) to the switch positions.

Now set the DMM to continuity and test between the earth terminals at the switch positions and the earth lead connected to the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back