Noisy boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm suffering from a noisy boiler, it's an ancient Vulcan conventional boiler. When the gas ignites the boiler makes a kettling sound. Makes the noise whether the pump is on or off. Have tried adding "Fernox boiler silencer", which has made no difference.

Could it be the gas burner pressure? Should I get it tested by a heating engineer? Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
by getting a corgi guy round to look at your boiler will determing weather your gas presures are correct, but it sounds like to me that the boiler could be sludged up and it could use a power flush to clean the system. ;)

I don't know the dates but it's pretty old, they do get a bit resistant to the medicine.

If its even one of the very last vulcan models to be produced it will be over 20 years old and probably pretty sludged up and scaled. It might be worth seeing if the gas pressure can be rated down any further that may make it quieter but may also impact on the functionality.

Sponsored Links
My boiler is also noisy and I have no idea what it is the power had been off for a while and now it chugs very loudly before the power had been turned off to it it was silent barely knew it was there!!

Any suggestions on what to do and how to do it would be much appreciated as its going to end up going through the window if doesnt quieten down soon!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Billington,
Thanks for the info, don't believe it, but after 3 days using the Fernox boiler silencer treatment, my boiler is now starting to run quieter. Don't know if it's some kind of boiler de-scaler? It's actually starting to work now. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Olloski,
Yep it's old, it's called an "Ideal Vulcan" & at a guess I'd say it was at least 25 years old. Like it though, as it's basic. It's around 50% quieter than before the treatment.

Thanks

Slugbabydotcom,

Thanks for that, the boiler stat is set around half way at the moment, but shall turn it down further. Yes your right about the noise, turn up the stat & kettling noise increases, who wants a cup of tea?

Seems odd you've only just noticed this, they did it from new always have and always will.

Only a lunatic takes out a boiler of that era in favour of a present day boiler. Saving is fuel balanced against installation and purchase cost would take about 20 years pay back period. In accounting terms a payback that long would never get approval from the budgeting department.

The government is dreaming if they think they can ever save the planet that way. Americans have the right idea about Kyoto.

Paul B,
I moved in around 2 years ago & then changed the pump myself & a couple of rads recently. Boiler has only seemed to become more noisy these last few months, saying that the system has been drained 4 times in 2 years. I haven't added any additives to the system apart from the boiler silencer stuff. Should I have?

Yep I think the boiler is great, dead basic & that's the way I like it. Don't think a combi would last 25 years+, but I might be wrong, as I'm no expert when it comes to central heating systems & boilers.

Can't believe how efficient & cheap new rads are though, bought 2 singles & thermo valves from B & Q recently & they cost £42 each including a pair of valves. Thought that was a bargain, considering they're also suppose to be 50% more efficient than the ones I replaced.

If I was ever to change my boiler in the future, what would you recommend? Just interested. Think I'd stick with my rads & pipes & just change the boiler when it finally packs up.

Can I fit what I like, providing it's done by a corgi fitter? Don't want anything to complicating efficient.

Cheers.

they're also suppose to be 50% more efficient
Radiators are all 100% efficient, in that they give out to the room all the heat that the water passing through them loses. It doesn't make sense to say some rads are more efficient than others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back