Noisy boiler.

Ah, you mean more efficient in terms of giving the same heat output from a smaller frontal area. Not strictly what is meant by "efficient" (which has a specific meaning in terms of heating) - I would say heat output was more "concentrated" or radiators more "compact".

Sponsored Links
You have an excellent attitude.

There is a problem gettimng burners for Vulcan's and pilot assemblies. Sooner or later it'll need an unobtainium part that can't be substituted. That's the plan of the manufacturers and the Government to ensure people like you and me with boilers from the golden age are dragged into the condensing age screaming.

When the day arrives it can't be fixed, get another regular boiler or a system boiler but a condensing one.

My choice is a Boulter Buderus Regular boiler. Others would have other views. My choice you can change any part in 15 minutes and no part costs more than 120 squid. A bloke in Gas installer got one to bits in 30 seconds or somat like that so 15 minutes is for slow coaches like me. It is a very high quality engineers boiler.

You couldn't show me any boiler on the shelves of a famous diy chain that I would waste my energy installing if you gave it me.

Oh good, so next time I see the people without eyebrows, I can keep it working for them! Boom! Don't worry that's just Doris doing the washing up.

Sponsored Links
Paul,
I like most things that sound "regular". Not into anything fancy, OK these all singing & dancing fancy boilers may last 10 years if your lucky (without repair or total rebuild). Conventional! That's what I say. Yep, I'll probably get shot down for that. Like a car really, don't want it full of micro chips & fancy censors, would rather pay 10 to 20% extra on my fuel bill to obtain greater long term reliability.

I appreciate your comments regarding my future new boiler, I'll bare them in mind when my Vulcan (without pointy ears!), gives up it's ghost for good in 20 years or so (I hope?). 50 year old boiler? Now that's talking sense!

CTP (Cheers Top Guy)

I nearly cried the other day, a lovely old gentleman customer sprang a leak from the heat exchanger of his Ideal Classic. I went home and hunted hi and low for the mint condition Ideal Classic I took out this summer to no avail. Seems have indeed scrapped it. The poor old bloke had to fork out for a condenser. I could have sneakily swapped his Classic for mine and made out it was his original boiler all along. Next one I'll definately keep.

When my boiler packs in, well when the gas control valve goes, I won't buy a condenser. I'll just put in another free standing boiler. I've also heard that some of these condensing boilers are not reliable & that the boilers can rot, due to the condensing action of the boiler.

My boiler is sounding better & better by the day, that Fernox has really done the job, just took a little while to work. Good stuff though, don't know what's in it? It has worked & that's the main thing.

Are spares still available for my boiler? Can you still get hold of new non condensing free standing boilers?

"Are spares still available for my boiler? "

You want to try asking the spotty faced youths at hrpc for Vulcan parts. They haven't a clue what a Vulcan is, too young for star trek and too old for boilers of that era.

No chance of spares mate, you need an old hand who knows how to adapt things safely.

I don't think there are any floor standing condensers.

I only fit condensers from new, because it's all that I am allowed to do, but I'll do my damndest to keep boilers going.

There are now some well made condensers, but only a fool buys a supermarket condenser off the shelf of a well know diy chain.

A full chemical flush will help and a powerflush would be even more beneficial although relatively expensive. As Paul says the noise is unlikely to go away completely no matter what you do! Cheaper alternatives are a pair of earplugs and turning your tv up louder :LOL: :LOL:

I was asked to check out the H & P for someone buying a house, and found a 1973 Vulcan. It looked about a year old!
Parts? Haven't asked, but the gas valve is the most common type!
It used 2 pumps; one was an original SMC.

The parts you can't get are the main burner and the pilot assembly. Can't do much about the burner but the pilot assembly would have to be adapted from generic parts. I haven't found anyone that even has a parts list. I had to scrap one because the burner was shot. I have a few customers with these and have kept some parts from the scrapped one. Always cheaper to keep these heavyweights going than to believe that propaganda about saving money changing to a steamer. Mostly they'll outlive the owner. Let the offspring foolishly wang in a combi when they take over.

which vulcan are you guys talking about? it's a big range from the viceroy in 1960 to the rs and cf series that ran up until the 80's. I'm sorry I can't share your appreciation for big gas guzzling, asbestos ridden monstosities, but to each their own. Technically parts are obsolete as soon as the manufacturers say they are....makes me laugh when you tell someone a part is obsolete and they call you a month later to say it can't be because they got one off ebay!

It's an "Ideal Vulcan", thinks it's around 25 years old & that speaks for it's self. May be slightly more inefficient than some of these newer less reliable condensing boilers, but I'm sticking with it. Well until the day comes when I have to change it & if I could I'd replace it with another similar free standing conventional boiler. It's an "Ideal Vulcan", thinks it's around 25 years old & that speaks for it's self. May be slightly more inefficient than some of these newer less reliable condensing boilers, but I'm sticking with it. Well until the day comes when I have to change it :cry:

there are 67 models of ideal vulcan free standing boilers, plus the couple of back boilers aswell :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back